Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find the non-OEM, fiberglass, Malaysian windshield cowl for my 2004 Disco.

I see tons of mentions of it from around the web with most referencing eBay but I cant find a listing for it or a retailer that actually has one for sale. Some of these mentions are from as early as mid-2019.

There is one single retailer I found on all of the web. Sekotimsa (https://www.sekotimsale.com/index.ph...ucts_id=389152). The website looks fishy. Has anyone ordered from them before? Where is this website or company based? And what the hell is "CA $81.31"? Have never seen this prefix followed by "$".

·
very disco
1,052 Posts
Isn’t CA Canadian currency

reading the listing, they say the manufacturer is “airleech” so a quick google search yields quite a few resellers of that part

“airleech discovery wiper”

it looks like the Malaysian manufacturer doesn’t direct sell, so you’ll have to roll the dice with these sketchy drop shippers.

thanks for bringing this up, my cowl is cracked also and I’ve been contemplating replacing it, and this part is cheaper than a used, intact cowl

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Then search by part number cos it's ''official" name not "cowl" and choose the seller which is convenient cos the market is full ... google out JAK000010PMA though you can find hits on the superseded p/n too JAG100110

·
very disco
1,052 Posts
The OP is looking for non-OEM part, particularly this Malaysian one. Searching the official name yields OEM parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then search by part number cos it's ''official" name not "cowl" and choose the seller which is convenient cos the market is full

I tried the "official" name. Still no results but the one.

google out JAK000010PMA though you can find hits on the superseded p/n too JAG100110
Im not looking for OEM. OEM is trash when the OEM is Land Rover. Aftermarket for LR usually provides a much better part, unfortunately.

Im looking for the Malaysian made "front wiper panel cover". Its fiberglass instead of the brittle plastic trash thats all over this vehicle. LR must make their revenue on parts only.

·
very disco
1,052 Posts
I’m elated to learn of this fiberglass replica part. Every disco2 I’ve ever owned has had a cracked wiper “cowl” heheh

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m elated to learn of this fiberglass replica part. Every disco2 I’ve ever owned has had a cracked wiper “cowl” heheh

Hell yea! Go buy it and support continued production of the much needed parts to keep our Rovers on the road and in functional condition. Many of us actually use these for work and utility and not just offroad play.

·
very disco
1,052 Posts
I’m not sure if a wiper cover falls under the functional condition umbrella, but I feel you.

it stinks to find cool parts that are no longer available.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not sure if a wiper cover falls under the functional condition umbrella, but I feel you.

it stinks to find cool parts that are no longer available.

It definitely does.

Without it you get leaves blocking everything up and water intrusion into the cabin ruining your electronics and causing mold and mildew. So its a health hazard, too. Ask me how I know.

·
very disco
1,052 Posts
It sounds like mine haven’t been broken badly enough lol

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Mine is still in good shape after 20 years... though i treat all the trims at least twice a year with this Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer Trim Restorer 355ml: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

seems that the manufacturer's description is not fake advertising (just seen this now as i searched for the link even though i've been using it for many years but it's relevant for this thread) :

ULTIMATE BLACK
Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer brings new life to all exterior plastic, vinyl, rubber trim such as bumpers, mouldings, door handles, rear-view mirror housings and windscreen cowlings. Utilising break-through UV clear coat technology, Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer significantly outlasts conventional protectants and trim care products. :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ULTIMATE BLACK
Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer brings new life to all exterior plastic, vinyl, rubber trim such as bumpers, mouldings, door handles, rear-view mirror housings and windscreen cowlings. Utilising break-through UV clear coat technology, Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer significantly outlasts conventional protectants and trim care products. :cool:
Cool. I might grab a bottle of this. Ive thought about it before but if youve been using it for 20 years and your POS LR cowl hasnt broken? Thats a damn good testimonial.

ETA: Scheisse! I just noticed your UK product link and your Romanian flag. Maybe Discos in Euro got better plastics than stateside. Possibly a different material source. Every piece of plastic in my truck has broken and Im really gentle on my belongings. Heres a non-comprehensive list:

Both horn buttons - several times.
Both cointrays - several times
Both bumpers
Rear step cover
Every exterior pillar on the vehicle
Both interior A-pillars
Dashboard trim pieces
Jump seat release handle
Rear ashtray
Rear seat armrest cup holder
Window switch trim
Window switch housing
Rain lip around roof where rack mounts
Both taillights
Windshield cowl
Instrument cluster bezel
etc.

Or maybe yall dont get strong enough sunlight to affect the plastics the way we do here in South Louisiana. Our summer sun and heat are brutal.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
All my trims are still being in good shape, the only ones which are partially broken are the grilles in the two central aircon vents and the cover around the buttons on the cubby box which was hit once by mistake... we have a temperate continental climate here so nothing extreme.... maybe the trims on diesels were stronger and that restorer is efficient too

·
very disco
1,052 Posts
I think maybe it’s climate.

here in WA, USA we have 90-100 summer and 20-30 winter, fairly moderate. I’ve only had issues with the wiper cowl and the front bumper plastic... the bumpers weren’t LR fault tho lolol

·
Bleeds Green
124 Posts
For what it's worth, I plastic welded mine back together on the back side and it's holding up fine. The kit is about $30 on Amazon. If nothing else it's a cheap and easy fix to keep junk out while looking for a replacement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For what it's worth, I plastic welded mine back together on the back side and it's holding up fine. The kit is about $30 on Amazon. If nothing else it's a cheap and easy fix to keep junk out while looking for a replacement.
I sort of tried that with some industrial hot glue but it was so far gone. You look at it wrong and it crumbles. All the plastics in this truck are dog ****. The worst Ive ever seen automotive or otherwise. Ive been trying to slowly replace all these plastics with better materials/parts, either custom fabbed or aftermarket. Screw putting LR parts back in. Im not even going to rebuild this engine when its time. Im going to do the GM LS swap kit from that aftermarket company that never has them in stock. And I LOATHE GM products.

·
Registered
14 Posts
... All the plastics in this truck are dog ****. The worst Ive ever seen automotive or otherwise. Ive been trying to slowly replace all these plastics with better materials/parts, either custom fabbed or aftermarket. Screw putting LR parts back in. Im not even going to rebuild this engine when its time. Im going to do the GM LS swap kit from that aftermarket company that never has them in stock. And I LOATHE GM products.
So why not dump your truck and buy a 4Runner? If you swap engines is it really still a Land Rover?

·
very disco
1,052 Posts
Lolol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts