Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have owned rovers for years with essentially with no issues. However, during a moderate rain I went to my vehicle to find the interior of door/windshield rails wet, headliner front edge towards top of windshield wet, and water standing in my rubber floor mat. Took my unit to my dealer within an hour. Service adviser explained the leaking was a windshield problem. I ask the adviser to make me an apt to fix the problem...found out this has been an issue on several rovers. Requires the windshield to be replaced with a new seal kit. I ask for an appointment and my adviser can't make an appointment...I ask why? No windshields available in the US or UK...yes, you read that correctly!! Nada, none...no windshields available period, paragraph!!! However, my adviser said we have temp repair and can do right now while you wait. 30 minutes I was fixed and ready to go...the fix, clear gorilla tape across the top of the windshield and frame. I must tell you I was shocked to say the least!!!! Called LR USA...they confirmed my dealers explanation of the problem and reiterated there are no windshields available and no idea when windshields with be available. I ask if a new seal kit would fix the problem...answer, NO. I was advised that I would have to get in line with hundreds of other rover owners till windshields were available. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

If you have had the same issue please respond...thanks for taking the time to read my post,

Tom

·
very disco
1,762 Posts
I don’t have that problem...

but if I had a D5 under warranty which needed warranty work and they couldn’t repair it, I would be irate to say the least!

I wish I knew law better, but I would imagine they’re under some sort of obligation...

also if I were them, I would rather send you home with a “sorry” than some clear tape!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same issue! The first leak happened in March but every service center was close due to COVID. My car is only 6 months old! I had to keep tarp over it because even morning dew caused leaking.
I finally got it fixed last week and picked up today Mon-Mon. Had to wait a while due to unavailable parts. After reviewing the work done I read about mold in the carpeting and mats, electrical damage, etc. It all has to be replaced. I have 2 young children in my car with me all the time and now I have to be concerned about residual mold issues.
I don’t understand how this continues to be a known issue year over year.
Have you don’t any further inquiring?

Have owned rovers for years with essentially with no issues. However, during a moderate rain I went to my vehicle to find the interior of door/windshield rails wet, headliner front edge towards top of windshield wet, and water standing in my rubber floor mat. Took my unit to my dealer within an hour. Service adviser explained the leaking was a windshield problem. I ask the adviser to make me an apt to fix the problem...found out this has been an issue on several rovers. Requires the windshield to be replaced with a new seal kit. I ask for an appointment and my adviser can't make an appointment...I ask why? No windshields available in the US or UK...yes, you read that correctly!! Nada, none...no windshields available period, paragraph!!! However, my adviser said we have temp repair and can do right now while you wait. 30 minutes I was fixed and ready to go...the fix, clear gorilla tape across the top of the windshield and frame. I must tell you I was shocked to say the least!!!! Called LR USA...they confirmed my dealers explanation of the problem and reiterated there are no windshields available and no idea when windshields with be available. I ask if a new seal kit would fix the problem...answer, NO. I was advised that I would have to get in line with hundreds of other rover owners till windshields were available. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

If you have had the same issue please respond...thanks for taking the time to read my post,

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the issue too in our disco 5 2017 which we only found during lockdown. We have to wait until mid nov for it to get fixed but nobody has said this is due to waiting for parts needed. Does anyone know if they have since rectified the problem in subsequent LR’s as were due to change ours v soon and undecided whether to go for another or something else. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Literally over night, this week my 2019 Discovery developed a leak along the top of the windshield. I was driving in the rain and had beads of water coming down on the inside of the windshield. Took me a second to figure out what was happening. Looked up and saw the front edge of the headliner was soaked between the driver and passenger A pillars. Took truck to JLR dealer and was told its a common problem. They would order a replacement windshield for me and let me know when it came in. I felt good after leaving then saw the comments about the back orders. Just wondering how long it will be. Surprised they did not have a temporary fix or mitigation strategy to keep the water from coming in....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Literally over night, this week my 2019 Discovery developed a leak along the top of the windshield. I was driving in the rain and had beads of water coming down on the inside of the windshield. Took me a second to figure out what was happening. Looked up and saw the front edge of the headliner was soaked between the driver and passenger A pillars. Took truck to JLR dealer and was told its a common problem. They would order a replacement windshield for me and let me know when it came in. I felt good after leaving then saw the comments about the back orders. Just wondering how long it will be. Surprised they did not have a temporary fix or mitigation strategy to keep the water from coming in....
Same thing for my disco 2017 model. Had a wet floor, I thought maybe I’d left a window open. Then another day noticed water dripping off A pillar. Reported it for warranty repair during service, local dealer acknowledged a known issue. Vehicle returned in repaired as apparently windscreen stock was inaccurate on system. Lack of follow up,from dealer is appalling. Reported worsening conditions 5 days ago, not even a returned call. With last few days 36 hours of solid rain, unsurprisingly the windscreen has now given up. Water dripping out of center roof console, seats, carpets, A Pillars, roof all soaked through. Electrics completely went yesterday temporarily, alarm went off twice in the evening. Dealer still not returning calls. Fortunately got through to parts and they said a windscreen delivered yesterday, would have saved HUGE aggro if they had bothered to call me and get the car undercover before the storm!!!!! Taken in today, fortunately electrics worked this morning. Will see how bad it is. Not impressed, currently main issue is with the dealer, but let’s see if LR provide appropriate warranty response

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing for my disco 2017 model. Had a wet floor, I thought maybe I’d left a window open. Then another day noticed water dripping off A pillar. Reported it for warranty repair during service, local dealer acknowledged a known issue. Vehicle returned in repaired as apparently windscreen stock was inaccurate on system. Lack of follow up,from dealer is appalling. Reported worsening conditions 5 days ago, not even a returned call. With last few days 36 hours of solid rain, unsurprisingly the windscreen has now given up. Water dripping out of center roof console, seats, carpets, A Pillars, roof all soaked through. Electrics completely went yesterday temporarily, alarm went off twice in the evening. Dealer still not returning calls. Fortunately got through to parts and they said a windscreen delivered yesterday, would have saved HUGE aggro if they had bothered to call me and get the car undercover before the storm!!!!! Taken in today, fortunately electrics worked this morning. Will see how bad it is. Not impressed, currently main issue is with the dealer, but let’s see if LR provide appropriate warranty response
We had ours booked in for nov 9th but when the problem became much worse and the front of the car was flooded with rainwater earlier this week I called the dealer who advised the cab was now not safe to drive they advised we call LR assist who came out to our house and had the car towed away. We picked up a loan car the next morning. Assist guy seemed to think they will replace part of the interior of the car because of the amount of water ingress. Will see what this week brings. Hope you make progress with yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had ours booked in for nov 9th but when the problem became much worse and the front of the car was flooded with rainwater earlier this week I called the dealer who advised the cab was now not safe to drive they advised we call LR assist who came out to our house and had the car towed away. We picked up a loan car the next morning. Assist guy seemed to think they will replace part of the interior of the car because of the amount of water ingress. Will see what this week brings. Hope you make progress with yours.
Sounds like you have a better dealer, frankly my local dealer has progressively got worse over the years, and don't get me on to their furloughed staff excuses! best of luck. Unfortunately my warranty has finished, but fortunately after i had sent it in for original repair where it then turned out the screen was not in stock. I will expect interior and electrics to be perfect upon return. But a replacement warranty is definitely required now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had the same issue with our 2017 Discovery 5.

On Friday 2nd October I noticed that the entire headliner at the front of the car surrounding the windscreen was wet and a few streaks of water was running down the inside of the windscreen near the driver side. The water was also collecting at the point where the rear view mirror is located and dripping onto the steering wheel and audio system, this was reported to Landrover the same day. As a result of water in the car the electrics are now temperamental in that it skips from one radio station to another, menu control on the steering wheel does not function fully, and the volume menu changes the radio station but not the volume.

On the morning of Sunday 4th October between the hours of midnight to 2.30am, the alarm was constantly going off every minute. We covered the top of the car including the windscreen with a waterproof cover as it has been raining heavily since Friday in the hope that this would reduce the water penetration into the car and stop the alarm however this did not make any difference. When the car was locked the alarm went off more frequently, every minute or so, than when it was unlocked. The only way to stop the alarm once it had been triggered was to use the fob key to unlock the car door.

At around 2.30am, after the alarm had been going off since midnight, we decided to start the engine of the car and open the car doors and tailgate. Towels were placed on the inside of the car to absorb the water and this seem to stop the alarm. As a precautionary measure, the car, however, had to remain unlocked all night.

The car was brought into Landrover on Thursday 8th October to replace the stolen spare wheel (another issue with Disc 5s). The worst thing is Landrover are hiding behind their warranty policy. The car has just come out of warranty. However this should not make any difference in this circumstance as in the UK they are obligated to carry out the repair costs for free since we have owned the car for less than 6 years. They are not offering any courtesy cars and we have no idea as to how long they will have the car as any emails I send on this matter are ignored. So, we have to bear the additional costs (around £120 per week) of taking our children to school via alternative means.

There is clearly an issue with the windscreens during the build process. Landrover should be recalling all Discovery 5s to check this. I feel that my car is now not safe to drive. I would not want to find myself on the motorway with my family in the rain and the electrics malfunction. This is a disaster waiting to happen if Landover don't act soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have had the same issue with our 2017 Discovery 5.

On Friday 2nd October I noticed that the entire headliner at the front of the car surrounding the windscreen was wet and a few streaks of water was running down the inside of the windscreen near the driver side. The water was also collecting at the point where the rear view mirror is located and dripping onto the steering wheel and audio system, this was reported to Landrover the same day. As a result of water in the car the electrics are now temperamental in that it skips from one radio station to another, menu control on the steering wheel does not function fully, and the volume menu changes the radio station but not the volume.

On the morning of Sunday 4th October between the hours of midnight to 2.30am, the alarm was constantly going off every minute. We covered the top of the car including the windscreen with a waterproof cover as it has been raining heavily since Friday in the hope that this would reduce the water penetration into the car and stop the alarm however this did not make any difference. When the car was locked the alarm went off more frequently, every minute or so, than when it was unlocked. The only way to stop the alarm once it had been triggered was to use the fob key to unlock the car door.

At around 2.30am, after the alarm had been going off since midnight, we decided to start the engine of the car and open the car doors and tailgate. Towels were placed on the inside of the car to absorb the water and this seem to stop the alarm. As a precautionary measure, the car, however, had to remain unlocked all night.

The car was brought into Landrover on Thursday 8th October to replace the stolen spare wheel (another issue with Disc 5s). The worst thing is Landrover are hiding behind their warranty policy. The car has just come out of warranty. However this should not make any difference in this circumstance as in the UK they are obligated to carry out the repair costs for free since we have owned the car for less than 6 years. They are not offering any courtesy cars and we have no idea as to how long they will have the car as any emails I send on this matter are ignored. So, we have to bear the additional costs (around £120 per week) of taking our children to school via alternative means.

There is clearly an issue with the windscreens during the build process. Landrover should be recalling all Discovery 5s to check this. I feel that my car is now not safe to drive. I would not want to find myself on the motorway with my family in the rain and the electrics malfunction. This is a disaster waiting to happen if Landover don't act soon.
well all sounds very similar to my issue the same week. Personally I blame the dealer in terms of not repairing when they should have done and then being uncontactable, but I agree Landrover should do a recall on such a serious issue.
Fortunately after some escalation at the dealer I seem to be getting a response and communication and explanation. They claim the issue is early Discovery's has the heating element too high on the windscreen and over time this melts the bonding agent for the rubber sealant, seems plausible, but also means that they know the actual issue!!
Still awaiting return of vehicle but it apparently needed new carpets and apparently a crucial electric module under the car seat that controls much of the electrics - i'd ask for that to be swapped

1 - 10 of 10 Posts