Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier I went trail riding where there were a lot or ruts and it made my 2002 DiscoII sway sometimes back and forth. Now Im afraid that the sound of wiggle is coming from my windshield? It doesnt leak because i sprayed a high power water hose over it when i got home to rinse off my truck, but i still think its moving when i rock from left to right... should it give a little? or should i get it checked....? thankssss

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would not know if you needed to check the windscreen but the pannels in a car do flex and move while a car is offroad so i guess it is possible to get squeaking from the silicone(sealent) that is around the glass. I was luck enough on a show that I was working on to get to break 3 or so dozen windscreens heaps of fun put them up against the wall and swing a hammer. Other way was to place one edge on the ground and place the other on a step and push in the middle with your foot it was amazing to see some flex in a windscreen not a lot but some. The only reason I bring this up is there was a very distinctive sound just before it broke (in that flex stage) it sounded much like the squeak in leather or the rigging of an old boat only it was a higher pitch. If this is the type of thing that you are hearing then maybee it is worth talking to a windscreen shop because if the glass is flexing then it would only be a matter of time before you could be looking through small squareish pieces of glass.
Adam

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went off roading again today and the wind was seriously shaking side to side. isnt this ok? since if it didnt move a little it would bust...? Also i had it in LOW the whole time but would i need it when just trail riding and some pebble roads or only when going on rocks and inclines...? i got my car messy, i'll have to take pics, but i could get it too messy no matter how hard i tried

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not to sure but if it doesn't leak and it's not going to fall out then it might be normal I am sure that another d2 owner night be able to help on the side to side movement.
As for low range I only realy use it when it is needed. dirt roads and fire trails small rocks and the light is ok in high but if it's steep or you won't to attack it slow then go to low. Also be careful of the speeds you travel at when in low. just remember low is for slow It's lame i know but it works. I could keep going all day with the rhyme but it has already past it humor point.
Adam

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Possibly what is happening, is there is material contact between the forward edge of the fascia and the windscreen/bulkhead. This could be causing a squeaking sound which may give the impression that the windscreen is moving. Have a look see if the fascia material is against the glass at any point.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
FYI, the sound

130CC said:
The only reason I bring this up is there was a very distinctive sound just before it broke (in that flex stage) it sounded much like the squeak in leather or the rigging of an old boat only it was a higher pitch. If this is the type of thing that you are hearing then maybee it is worth talking to a windscreen shop because if the glass is flexing then it would only be a matter of time before you could be looking through small squareish pieces of glass.
Adam
Most if not all windshield glass is safety glass and you are hearing the plastic fronts and backs fail. Don't worry since the glass fractures and breaks the plastic keeps most of it together , just for the car accident.

The only time I think it gets dangerous is when an organic and alive object goes thru it. The plastic does its best, but the glass shards are very sharp albeit tiny from safety glass.

Conventional glass , however, is as deadly if not more deadly than any hand weapon except for a firearm. The glass fractures at such sharp angles that they are surgery sharp and go thru stuff like butter.

As an EMT, I wish more and more glass applications use either Lexan or adopt plastic subsitutes. Even for large pickle jars. (;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.