Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 LR3 (67k miles), the windshield wipers do not work in an position. Has anyone else had this issue? I checked the fuse(s) under the hood and no problem there. Is there a relay that I can check? Is there a common failure mode? Is there one motor or two, and how to check the wiper motor?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers,

Wes
Salt Lake City

·
Registered
649 Posts
one motor and lots of wires

The link below is to a file I have that is a description of the front and rear wipers plus the squirter's. On the last couple of pages are a listing of all the related components such as relays and fuses. That will give you somewhere to start looking.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/15405/501-16_Wiper_and_Washer_Description_and_Operation.pdf

The above may not help very much however, but it will give you an idea of the complexity of the problem.

To help isolate what may be wrong, determine if the front and rear squirter's operate; does the rear wiper work? If some of the stuff works, probably the stalk is OK as are some of the systems. If nothing works, then probably the wiper motor is OK and the problem is wiring related. You will no doubt be delighted to learn that the ABS module is somehow tied to the windscreen wipers so you might want to look at your brake lights and tail lights - that all bulbs are good - something to do with variable wiper speed and vehicle speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do fault isolation the following way.

1. check fuses for wiper motor
2. replace R2,3 wiper relays with new 5 pin relays (in the motor compartment fuse box)
3. Test to see if wiper function is restored.
4. if it only does work in high speed mode I bet it's a faulty relay
5. if high speed and intermittent work but it doesn't automatically start then it's the rain sensor
6. If it's not the fuse, relay, rain sensor then replace the wiper motor, you can easily do that yourself

'06 LR3 (67k miles), the windshield wipers do not work in an position. Has anyone else had this issue? I checked the fuse(s) under the hood and no problem there. Is there a relay that I can check? Is there a common failure mode? Is there one motor or two, and how to check the wiper motor?

Cheers,

Wes
Salt Lake City

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do fault isolation the following way.

1. check fuses for wiper motor
2. replace R2,3 wiper relays with new 5 pin relays (in the motor compartment fuse box)
3. Test to see if wiper function is restored.
4. if it only does work in high speed mode I bet it's a faulty relay
5. if high speed and intermittent work but it doesn't automatically start then it's the rain sensor
6. If it's not the fuse, relay, rain sensor then replace the wiper motor, you can easily do that yourself

Cheers,

Wes
Salt Lake City

·
Super Moderator
2,153 Posts
Hey there Captain 😉
You may have not noticed this is an 8year old topic 😳
Hopefully you’re not a Pirate!
We’ll have ya walk the plank 🏴‍☠️

·
Registered
9 Posts
not a pirate, I am still getting the hang of how this board works. but people will have the same issue he had regardless of the age, once their car reaches 120000miles plus and it wasn't correctly answered so it's always important to do the cheap fixes first before jumping onto expensive items And assuming it's wiring.

[/QUOTE]
Hey there Captain 😉
You may have not noticed this is an 8year old topic 😳
Hopefully you’re not a Pirate!
We’ll have ya walk the plank 🏴‍☠️

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi Guys I’m stuck I have a Range Rover HSE 2006 model, the wipers are not working but the water jets are and so is the back wiper, I took out the wiper motor and tested it and it works perfect with a battery but when it’s installed in the car it does not run at all when I flip the switch any idea what it can be

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
yes, just follow the logic back from the motor... relay.. switch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you guys know where the relay is on this car as I removed the one behind the battery and that’s a 7pin relay not 5 and on the front fuse box there is no indication of witch one is the relay for the wiper motor and all fuses are 100%

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I am having same problems.
I recently bought a LR disco 3.
I have Park brake fault on and I cannot use the Park option. When i do, it does not come off. It locks awa9y.
I have my front wipers stopped working after 2 months.
I ran the ECU test, it shows EGR error.
What should i do?
Thanks

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
Do you have an LR specific code reader?

first thing I’d do is start a new thread and post your DTC from a trusted scanner.

I had a parking brake fault, I used my foxwell to “unjam” it and it’s worked fine since.

as far as the wipers, you’ll want to test from the motor back to the switch... if there’s power at the motor but it’s not going, check the ground and then replace if needed. If no power, check the relay operation and for power to the relay. If that checks out, make your way to the switch itself

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Range Rover Sport. The front wipers will only run in the pull handle forward clean/water jet mode
The rear wipers and jets work fine. Any ideas

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
as far as the wipers, you’ll want to test from the motor back to the switch... if there’s power at the motor but it’s not going, check the ground and then replace if needed. If no power, check the relay operation and for power to the relay. If that checks out, make your way to the switch itself
if you can get wiper action from the spray position, it seems highly likely that everything aside from the switch is fine...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts