Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Just out rovin about
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all im trying to get my rrc ready for the winter romp...:D has anybody gone to this before ???? im sure many of u have ... im trying to figure out what the must have list is for equiptment and stuff ... the site has a general idea but i dont want to drive all the way up there if im not going to be able to go wheeling becouse i forgot and or didnt think of a peice of equiptment that i should have.. i have all the basics.. recovery points front rear, strap, cb, crappy heat but have long underwear;) anything i missed and or "should have"?? good spare plenty of tools<im a mechanic lol > no prob there..trucks running great just did 500+miles this past weekend no probs and no new leaks lol... well any input would be great thanks all don

·
Registered
843 Posts
Is this the winter romp up in maine?

·
Just out rovin about
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes sir thats the one

·
2,986 Posts
He has required equipment listed here: equipment as you probably saw.. For the most part, I'd say the most important is good recovery hooks... very warm clothing as you'll probably be outside of your truck a lot.. a shovel incase we can't get someone winched/yanked out ...

I'll be going to Winter Romp as well... heading up Friday. Who else from this board is going?

·
Just out rovin about
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont know yet... what time about u going to be passing threw nh??? i might meet ya on the side of the highway....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Ah I would love to come with you guys. One of my very best friends goes almost every year. Neil Fisher is his name and he drives a SIIA 88" in tahiti blue. Will be dropping in on him in a couple of months or so, so maybe catch up with you guys then. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Neil says have you seen this site? Here

He also says
If snowy, snow chains are good if you know how to put them on.
A good tow strap is usefull. Basically it's just like offroading in mud, but it's snowy and can be very cold.
Also

My biggest issues the last two years have been post trail freeze-ups of the brakes and mud in and around the wheels. Last year I was left alone an hour away from home with all four brakes frozen solid and had to use low range and a heavy foot to break the ice free. When it went I thought Id broken an axel it was so loud.
He's a helpful chap!!! :)

·
Just out rovin about
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes that was the site i was referring to... ok good should be fun ..... im used to just beating around in the woods with the jeep guys.... soo im looking forward to other rover folk..

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
2,986 Posts
dont know yet... what time about u going to be passing threw nh??? i might meet ya on the side of the highway....
We're leaving NJ around 10am, it's about a 7 hour drive so we plan on being there around 5pm/6pm ... Checkin into the hotel, heading to dinner, then wheelin' all night.. It'll be between probably 4 and 10 trucks depending if we hook up with people in Mass.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I've thought about going but I don't have enough of the gear i.e. chains hi lift etc..

Plus my rover would probably fail the inspection that thing is leaving a trail of fluids that a blind man could track through the woods to find us.

I would really love to go though.......

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Army; it's a Rover. It's supposed to leak. They only fail tech inspection if they DON'T leak.

·
Just out rovin about
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
army u have plenty of time to get your gear...beg barrow but dont steal it from where ever u have to ...... if this is anything like the jeep jamboree's its going to be great fun with great people... RMULLER...as it gets closer ill pm u with my cell im in dover/portsmouth u guys have to go right by me and would love to ride up with some other rover...

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Army; it's a Rover. It's supposed to leak. They only fail tech inspection if they DON'T leak.
Yes but they don't usually leave an oil slick on the upper gate on the bright side I should have no undercarriage rust issues and I should never get lost in the woods...:wave:

Follow the oil slick road, follow the oil slick road:D

As far as the gear I don't have any friends that wheel or any friends for that matter lol. So I really don't have anyone to beg or borrow from and funds are tight for the time being the wifes G** D*** benz is broke again. That darn thing is worse than a Rover. Time for a mass air flow on it and with my luck another 12 knuckle busting spark plugs. I hate that car with a passion usually reserved by men for ex wives.

·
94 Defender 90
1,073 Posts
Yes but they don't usually leave an oil slick on the upper gate on the bright side I should have no undercarriage rust issues and I should never get lost in the woods...:wave:
Have you checked the breather's on the top of your valve covers? All your emissions lines hooked up properly? Mine used to do that as well. Ended up the engine was just pressurizing itself on the highway. Cleaned everything up and it went right away.

As for the romp...

It really is very informal. Don't get the wrong idea from the website.

It's just a giant group of rover nuts wheeling their trucks. The schedule is only a suggestion.

The only thing you really need are recovery points so we can yank you out if(when) you're stuck. If anyone's on the edge... GO! You won't regret it. You'll learn quite a bit.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
The oil is coming out at the rear main I'll check to make sure that the breather's aren't plugged as far as I know all the emissions equipment is hooked up and functional.

I haven't really looked at how to add front recovery points as of yet. I'll take a look at it and see what I can come up with.

·
94 Defender 90
1,073 Posts
The oil is coming out at the rear main I'll check to make sure that the breather's aren't plugged as far as I know all the emissions equipment is hooked up and functional..
That seemed to be where mine was spraying out of as well. Does it do it all the time or just when reving high? Mine did it on the highway.

There's a quick write up on it here:Range Rover Remedies

I haven't really looked at how to add front recovery points as of yet. I'll take a look at it and see what I can come up with
RECOVERY LOOP KIT: Jate rings. They replace the standard tie down loops on your frame. You unbolt those and bolt these on. Work great.

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I'll have to check the spread where those mount up I have those in the motor pool used on 5 tons and hummers with a 12-15k pound rating. I'm sure I could make those work and they are really cheap.......

·
Registered
275 Posts
We're leaving NJ around 10am, it's about a 7 hour drive so we plan on being there around 5pm/6pm ... Checkin into the hotel, heading to dinner, then wheelin' all night.. It'll be between probably 4 and 10 trucks depending if we hook up with people in Mass.
We will be heading up sometime late on Friday. Jenn couldn't get out of work for the day, (just like last year), so in all likelihood, we'll be rolling in as y'all are rolling out of the bar in the hotel :buttrock:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts