Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it true that dII's require a special wiper refill? if so how much are they?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Drum655:

That is correct the Disco II require a special refill. I paid $17.02 for each front and $17.30 for the rear one at the dealer. It is a lot of money for a set of wipers.

After I bought my truck I thought that because being certified the dealer will replace them. They did not bother; they were horrible; once I replaced them the difference is was huge.

You should check with Atlantic British or other mail order store; you probably will find them at a cheaper price. Or perhaps you should replace the arms from a D1 and use any available blade from any auto store. You will spend more money upfront but you will save later on.

Figman :wave:

·
2,986 Posts
D1 wiper arms are $19.00 through DAP ... add that with spend less than $20 on a set of aftermarket blades.. and the cost is about the same as buying a pair of fronts for the DII.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why replace the whole thing?

I have replaced my wiper blade's twice. And I get the cheap wiper blade re-fills. They only cost 7 or 8 dollars. It is much cheaper to replace the rubber part. The blade needs to be 20 inches long.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
rmuller said:
D1 wiper arms are $19.00 through DAP ... add that with spend less than $20 on a set of aftermarket blades.. and the cost is about the same as buying a pair of fronts for the DII.
Yep....bought used DI wipers from Will Tillery for $30 shipped....they were faded so I painted them satin black with a can of rustolium. BTW, get them from DAP....im kinda annoyed with Will....ive almost given up trying to get the switch pigtails from him ("ill mail with US mail [two days before chrismas eve]......without tracking I dont even know if he sent them)

err.....anyway...
I love this triblade brand at walmart...they are about $10 for both front wipers and are silicone.

Before I bought the wiper arms I did this: DII WIPER CHEAP BASTARD WAY

Since my dealer wanted $75 for a set of wipers I decided to do it myself.....though you can only really do this once or twice. I went to walmart, bought some triblade brand wipers, used pliers to take them out of the assembly. Then I measured them up next to the DII ones that were "dead" and cut the silicone blade and metal supports to that size.

I used the pliers to open the DII blade assembly, remove the old blade, then clamped in the new resized one. It worked! It always missed on one spot but for how much it rains in NV I never really got a chance to adjust it......anyhow....there you go. :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Ok fella's here's the deal. The d 2 does not use special wiper blades. You can get them at places other then the dealer.
They are a narrow blade used on many European cars and available at most auto parts stores. Look for an "N" suffix after the length. Just 'cus you can't get them at Walmart doesn't make them special.
I know advance auto has them in a blade refill for a couple of bucks.
Getting D1 wiper arms may be a solution to get refills easier, but it's not neccessary.

·
2,986 Posts
keptin said:
im kinda annoyed with Will....ive almost given up trying to get the switch pigtails from him ("ill mail with US mail [two days before chrismas eve]......without tracking I dont even know if he sent them)
Wow, I'm suprised.. I ordered something from Will last night at midnight VIA a PM and I got a tracking number from DHL for it this morning. Have you tried calling him to make sure he hasn't mistakenly forgotten?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
the DI wiper arms solve another problem- the DII arms are plastic and break easily in winter, but more importantly- the DII arms for some stupid reason always seem to trap fluid so as soon as you turn off the wipers after washing the windscreen, the fluid blows up on the glass. :mad:
DI arms rock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.