Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have heard that S3 electrics can be fun, mine looks like it is just starting!

The wiper unit I have, (the unit to select wiper speed), recently began to operate intermittendly. I took it apart, noticed that the one of the contact points was a bit bent, reset this made sure it was making contact, closed it up and ..... nothing. i thought I would save myself the trouble and just get a replacement, however this is where is gets interested, the listed landrover unit in the parts catalogue, has only two male wire connections, where mine has four, and mine has a small box (for the lack of a better word) with another two wires leading into it, mounted on top or back of the unit. ummm... can anyone tell me if they have a similar unit, or what possible remedies there are to may lack of wiper use.

Thanks all :wave:

· Registered
317 Posts
Jayce,
Hmm, might you have a late IIa wiper unit? I'd check that as I have a number of the late IIa wiper motors that have the 4 prong connector...maybe someone swapped that in at some point...

Bogatyr

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Bogatyr said:
Jayce,
Hmm, might you have a late IIa wiper unit? I'd check that as I have a number of the late IIa wiper motors that have the 4 prong connector...maybe someone swapped that in at some point...

Bogatyr
That is absolutely right. I believe you have a sII/IIa motor.They come with the 4 prongs. I had something similar in my sIII 88. I just bit the bullet and ordered a new one from paddock spares in Darbyshire. Was £23.00.Good luck :)

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

Now I know what I am working wiht. I was hoping to try and fix the unit, as they are amazingly expensive to replace, where I am. I am looking at about R500 for a unit, about $73.

Anyway, I am just grateful that it is winter here, as we have no rain and no snow, for the next 3 months.

Cheers :beer:

Jayce

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Jayce said:
Thanks guys

Now I know what I am working wiht. I was hoping to try and fix the unit, as they are amazingly expensive to replace, where I am. I am looking at about R500 for a unit, about $73.

Jayce
Is it the swich on the dash that have the two settings?

A mate of mine replaced his with a Light dimmer swich. Yhe tipe that you will put into your houses lights to dim or brighten them. Now he has various speeds depending on how far you turn it.
You can pick them up for under R100. Try to find a 12v one rather than a 220 v one.

· Registered
317 Posts
Also, keep in mind that you might be able to find a less expensive one when cross referencing. The part from an MGB or TR4 might be less expensive where you are...all depends on the market...

Bogatyr

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys

thanks for the advice, it is something that I will check out. I like the idea of the dimmer switch. Unsual and novel, I like unusual and novel. I am a little eccentric at heart, but I suppose all series owners are eccentric.

Cheers

Jayce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.