Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, can anyone let me have by email a scan or a pdf document that shows the wiring diagram for the injection system on a 1987 EFI?
My Haynes manual (with supplement) does not show it.....great Mr.Haynes!

Or simply can someone tell me the wiring colours for the thermoswitch and the temp sensor just behind it. The connectors look the same and it looks possible to get them mixed up.

The car is great when cold but ever so rich when warmed up....I know the ECU is getting a bad signal somewhere.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
schematic

Hi Phillipe, I believe I have the schematic of the injectors if you want it. I can copy, zip and email to you if you would like. Just send me an address to forward to.

Rich when warm eh!! coolant temp sensor? You can check with an ohm meter.

Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would very much appreciate a wiring diagram for anything that covers the injection system, the sensors and related parts! My email is: [email protected]

I removed the thermoswitch and coolant sensor to test them. The thermoswitch went from zero resistance to 'on' at 35 degrees and off again under 35. I did not have a thermometer available but with the human body being at 37 something, just holding onto the sender for a couple of minutes and letting it go again allowed it to switch on/off.
The coolant sensor I put in the deepfreeze and then checked out as it thawed out. It did not seem too far out but again I was guessing the temperatures most of the way.

Is it possible for the coolant sensor to cause that much trouble? The car is undrivable when hot with a super rich blueish exhaust colour and backfiring. (Great when cold).
To recap the problem:
-Car starts on the button from cold with slightly higher than normal tickover.
-Warms up and tickover drops to normal
-Leave ticking over and after 5 minutes great big clouds of blueish rich fumes and on the point of stalling

Also when I turn the ignition to position 2, ie with the dash lights illuminated, I read a low voltage of 4 volts at the thermoswitch connector and nothing at the coolant temp sensor. Is this normal and when should a circuit be registering for the coolant sensor?

Last questions (promise), If I had a broken connection to the coolant sensor, would the ECU be receiving a 'maxi rich' or 'maxi lean' command?

Can the ECU be causing this much grief if faulty?

And finally, because I have a doubt about the distributor, could the amplifier unit connected to the dissi body be causing problems when warm leading to intermitent sparks and the build up of unburnt fuel?

As always, many thanks for your ideas and help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.