Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a couple days ago my 2001 Td5 would not start...no glow plugs lit up, but everything short of starting the car did work.

Finally took a look at the fuses under the passenger seat, and there was oil covering the bottom, and oil in the red connector to the computer. I thought "Uh, that's not good" (brilliant, aren't I?)

Took the computer to the shop, bought contact cleaner, the engine did fire and I took it to the dealer, who somewhat suprisingly diagnosed the problem sight unseen, almost as if they had seen this many times before as a problem with the wiring harness that lets the oil from the engine go back into the fuse/computer area, and that replacing the entire harness would be necessary (about $175 with labor). They are working on it now.

My question: Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a factory defect, and if so, does Land Rover cover this? This seems so bizarre, yet I saw the oil everywhere, really quite odd.

Your thoughts, answers or suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yes, this in fact is a problem that was writen up in one of the magazines. The wiring harness is acting like a hose. When you have the new harness in, seal off the engine bay end with a silicone rubber sealant. Might not be a bad idea to locate and rectify the source of the oil as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have had and am now going through the process of refinding the second inlet of oil to the harness. The first was pretty easy to find looked for an area in the engine bay that had the most amount of oil neer part of the wiring harness added cleaned added sealent and some tape problem solved. I did have to clean the red computer plug for a while afterwards to remove oil as well as some diluted degreaser down the loom. I just could no understand replacing the wiring loom when there was a complete chance that the problem would return in the new loom as it is I am now looking for the problem again in the same loom. One idea i have heard is to make a small hole in the harness sheath in one of the low points near the gear box and run a small wire out of there to allow the oil to follow a path out of the harness, If you were to go down this track which is not really the solution to the problem only a quick fix remember where there is oil and power there is a potential for a fire.
Adam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.