Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, me again...when ever i catch a bump on the highway (has happened mostly on highway curves) my steering will vibrate like crazy and the the fron end gets all wobbly...i know my alignment is off a bit and im changing my tires soon so ill fix that then...i read on another forum that it could be some sort of preload pins on the swivel ball. What do you guys think?

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
steering stabilizer sounds like it is smoked.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
01001010 said:
Did you mean the Steering Damper?
Yep, that's what he meant. I believe the stock ones have 15mm nuts, some aftermarket dampers have 17mm nuts.

Also, check the bushings on the panhard rod and swaybars. I just changed the bushings on my wife's 96 D1 and what a difference it made on the highway (specially since I'm running 265/75 BFG ATs w/a 3" lift).

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha...John to the rescue again...thanks man!...any specific bushings i should be lookin at or will the kits they have on roverparts.com work fine? I was just lookin at them and i think i might as well replace the shocks and damper to OMEs. Or atleast the front Shocks.

· Registered
70 Posts
hey there, i'm the one who has been mentioning the swivel preload - i just got my 97 fixed about 2 months ago... i've had it for 4 years (since about 42,000, i'm at 85,000 now) and the entire time, it had the shaking problem. i mean the entire truck, not just the steering wheel. i checked everything, tire pressure and the works, but finally about 2 months ago i found a certified lr mechanic at my local BP, and i mentioned the problem to him, and right away he said swivel preload. i got it fixed (pretty pricey, $550 by an independent) and the difference is night and day. i go over a bump and instead of shaking for the next mile, it's smooth sailing. (one of the common things is that you don't even have to go over a bump for it to start shaking, it just does it on its own - mine always started between 65-70mph). if you have a good mechanic and they don't find anything else wrong (it could possibly be what these other folks are suggesting) then find someone who knows discos and ask them if its the swivel preload (they get loose over time and some are even loose from the factory!) if you do have this problem really badly, you might notice some oil looking stuff seeping out from the wheels. they should replace the swivel seals, which will fix that problem, if they do the swivel preload.

well i hope this might have helped somebody! apparently this is a common problem in discos but not many people know about it! i am so happy i found a mechanic who could fix this problem - not only was it dangerous to shake like that but SUPER embarrassing!!

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HEYY...so that was you on Discoweb??....DANG thanks alot...i'll check everything out today when i get home from work. I've seen ya on Cardomain...im on there too but havent touched my site for some time now, i have a ton of other off road pics and little upgrades waiting to get off my digi cam and into the comp. I have a 96 SE and i LOOOOVVE it!...Im a automobile FREAKK and would usually only consider sport coupes and sedans and even owned two muscle cars ( STILLLL lookin for my 67 Camaro SS ) and DAMN when i got into the Rover, i found the soulmate..lol....I think it was on your rover (erica) that i saw this, a sticker that says "your car can go fast, but mine can go anywhere"...I LOVE THAT!!..haha...anyway..thanks again...we'll keep in touch on here..i got tons of questions and like i said, tons of pics

· Registered
70 Posts
i'd love to see all the pics sometime, let me know if you update your cardomain site! (btw, which one is it, got a link?) yeah i've gone pretty nuts with stickers on my disco, trying to fill up the back windows! you can get the "you can go fast but i can go anywhere" on ebay, at least that's where i got it! ebay is getting me in trouble, i just started using it about a year ago and i can't stay away from it! i want to do some real off roading this summer but don't know how much time i'll have - still gonna be a full time student with 4 classes, grr! oh well, keep in touch! you can im me if you've got aim, stpattyroy (and [email protected]) happy rovering!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.