Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
rovering??
Joined
·
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i ran out of fuel . in my garage..
she started and died...
i got some fuel and filled her up (5 gallons to be exact)
after a whole lot of cranking she just wont start
any ideas ?

what should i do to get the fuel to the motor from the tank?
is there a manual pump like on the desiel fuel pumps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
1st rover said:
hey guys i ran out of fuel . in my garage..
she started and died...
i got some fuel and filled her up (5 gallons to be exact)
after a whole lot of cranking she just wont start
any ideas ?

what should i do to get the fuel to the motor from the tank?
is there a manual pump like on the desiel fuel pumps?
No manual pump. You can connect a pressure gauge to the fuel rail to check the pressure (I think it should be above 34 psi).

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you try to start it?

Make sure the inertia switch isn't activated (under the drivers seat).

Undo the hose before the fule filter and see if you get any fuel when trying to start.

Good luck and keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
If you look under the drivers seat, on the right side you will see a small box with a button on top. Make sure the button is down. Check to see if the pump is turning on when you turn the key on. Pump will run for couple seconds and turn off.
 

·
rovering??
Joined
·
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just found the button.it in down.but i do not hear the pump at all. so i disconnected the fuel hoses at the fuel pump and then tried to crank.. but there was no fuel comming out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
The fuel pump will only run for 2 seconds or so when the key is first brought to the second position. You may have to have someone put an ear near the driver rear wheel to hear it, it should just be a light humming just as you hit the running position of the ignition, but not cranking yet. When you run out of gas, you are going to have to turn the key ot this position, let the pump run until it stops (couple seconds) and turn key off, and repeat. Repeat about 5-10 times. You may even hear a change in the fuel pump sound when it builds pressure. You aren't going to build pressure up if you are just cranking away, or at least not for a while.

Try this and see if you hear the fuel pump whine. You can also look at the manual at the wiring schematic, and use a jumper on the fuel and main relay, and have see if the relays are just dead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
yieldsign2 said:
The fuel pump will only run for 2 seconds or so when the key is first brought to the second position. You may have to have someone put an ear near the driver rear wheel to hear it, it should just be a light humming just as you hit the running position of the ignition, but not cranking yet. When you run out of gas, you are going to have to turn the key ot this position, let the pump run until it stops (couple seconds) and turn key off, and repeat. Repeat about 5-10 times. You may even hear a change in the fuel pump sound when it builds pressure. You aren't going to build pressure up if you are just cranking away, or at least not for a while.

Try this and see if you hear the fuel pump whine. You can also look at the manual at the wiring schematic, and use a jumper on the fuel and main relay, and have see if the relays are just dead.
The fuel pump will run for 2 seconds to pressurize the system, if you disconnect the hose it will run continuosly.

Check the electrical connector on the driver's side rear wheel well, by the frame. You can run a positive wire from the battery directly to the fuel pump to test it, just remove the trap door under the rear carpet (cargo area).
 

·
rovering??
Joined
·
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yieldsign2 said:
The fuel pump will only run for 2 seconds or so when the key is first brought to the second position. You may have to have someone put an ear near the driver rear wheel to hear it, it should just be a light humming just as you hit the running position of the ignition, but not cranking yet. When you run out of gas, you are going to have to turn the key ot this position, let the pump run until it stops (couple seconds) and turn key off, and repeat. Repeat about 5-10 times. You may even hear a change in the fuel pump sound when it builds pressure. You aren't going to build pressure up if you are just cranking away, or at least not for a while.

Try this and see if you hear the fuel pump whine. You can also look at the manual at the wiring schematic, and use a jumper on the fuel and main relay, and have see if the relays are just dead.

where is the relay located?
is this the one of the two black ones under the drivers seat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
John C said:
The fuel pump will run for 2 seconds to pressurize the system, if you disconnect the hose it will run continuosly.
I disagree. The fuel pump does run for 2 seconds to pressurize the system. This does pressurize the system if there is already fuel in the lines. But, at least on 87-89, as that is all I have experience in, it will still run for 2 seconds whether or not the fuel line is connected. It doesn't sense pressure, it just was programmed to run two seconds because that is sufficient if there is fuel in the lines to the engine already. he said he ran it dry. Cycling the pump by turning the key on and off without cranking will eventually build the pressure up by filling the lines, and then building pressure.

Your idea on jumping the fuel pump is a good idea, try that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
1st rover said:
where is the relay located?
is this the one of the two black ones under the drivers seat?
The fuel and main relay are small silver boxes, found under the passenger seat I believe.
 

·
rovering??
Joined
·
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was brousing through rangerovers.net and found the answer to the relay and switched it with the seat control relay which is same.. i switched the relays and tried it again dosent look like the relay is blown as the seat operates fine with either relays.. i also checked all the fuses and all are ok..
now how do i jump the fuel pump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Take a spare battery, or run a wire from your battery to the back of the truck, pull up your rear rug and mats, and there is an access plate taht you remove and you can put power to the positive (probably a red wire, can someone help here?) terminal on the pump.

Did you check to make sure that you don't hear the fuel pump running definately? have somoene listen if you can, turn the key to the second position, don't crank it. listen for a whine/hum.
 

·
rovering??
Joined
·
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yieldsign2 said:
Take a spare battery, or run a wire from your battery to the back of the truck, pull up your rear rug and mats, and there is an access plate taht you remove and you can put power to the positive (probably a red wire, can someone help here?) terminal on the pump.

Did you check to make sure that you don't hear the fuel pump running definately? have somoene listen if you can, turn the key to the second position, don't crank it. listen for a whine/hum.
2 morro ill try the battery thing... but about the sound i sure wasnt able to hear a thing that just may be beacuse my garage opeans to an expressway and also there are so many other things making sounds which makes it difficult to hear....
and if i am right the fuel filter is located on the frame near the right rear wheel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
yieldsign2 said:
I disagree. The fuel pump does run for 2 seconds to pressurize the system. This does pressurize the system if there is already fuel in the lines. But, at least on 87-89, as that is all I have experience in, it will still run for 2 seconds whether or not the fuel line is connected. It doesn't sense pressure, it just was programmed to run two seconds because that is sufficient if there is fuel in the lines to the engine already. he said he ran it dry. Cycling the pump by turning the key on and off without cranking will eventually build the pressure up by filling the lines, and then building pressure.

Your idea on jumping the fuel pump is a good idea, try that.
On my 88 RR I could disconnect the fuel line (before the fuel filter) and turn the key and the pump would run for more than 2 seconds, go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
John C said:
On my 88 RR I could disconnect the fuel line (before the fuel filter) and turn the key and the pump would run for more than 2 seconds, go figure.
Well, thanks to lucas, we are both right. :madnoel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Jump out the inertia switch and see if it runs for 2 seconds. Mine broke and I ended up removing the inertia switch alltogether leaving the terminals permenantly jumped.
 

·
rovering??
Joined
·
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the skinny

so here it is
tried jumping the pump at first it did nothing.
so i dicided to pull the pump out and see whats happening
well all contacts looked fine so i powered it directly and it started throwing fuel from its little reseirvoir.. so i put it back in and conected the pipes and it pressurised till it sarted comming out from the return pipe.. then i tightened the return pipe .. and jumped it again .. but this time the pump did not work at all.
so i undid the return pipe and tried to jump it again and then it worked
..so i kept it going and i tightened the return pipe...then tried cranking the motor ,but it seemed like it got some fuel in the begining but nothing after that...
so what do youll think?
i am going to be changing the fuel filter any ways as i am at it..and lets see what happens then.
could it be the inertia swich gone bad?
or the pump not getting power?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top