Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

This is my first post! Thank you in advance for your help!

I have a 1999 4.6HSE and I have had some starting problems. I have only owned this RR for about 5 weeks and it's making me crazy!

Went to my garage on Sat AM and I was locked out. Luckily I had an extra key. Started no problem. Came out to the garage Sunday PM and the dome light was on, car started reluctantly (low battery). Charged battery for a few hours. Came out this morning and the engine would crank but it would not start!

By the way, I had this same problem about 3 weeks ago and had to have it towed to the nearest dealer (160 miles and $500)! They replaced the BECM and the starter (also the head gaskets, but that's another story). Within a couple of days of getting my car back home, I started having electrical issues (dome light & lockout). Ended up driving back to dealer and having a 2nd BECM installed (at their expense).

Do any of you hav any ideas for me?????

Thank you!

Scott

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, it SOUNDS like they have ruled out BECM by process of elimination, but the problems you describe would point at the BECM or its connections. I would check all the grounds, and then the harness connections at the BECM. If I had to guess I would say there is some corrosion or a bad connection somewhere that is resulting in the BECM getting bad data.

-Coach

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Coach-

Thanks for the reply! Any chance that you can give me specific ground wire locations to check?

I received a call from the dealership and they are sending over a technician tomorrow. He will be bringing over 2 other BECM's, a new fuse box and several different relays. Sounds like the dealership is thinking along the same lines as you!

Thank you again Coach and happiest of holidays to you!

Scott

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Which model of Rangie was it that had the bad grounds?

I read somewhere that there was a problem and all the ground straps should be replaced, I just can't remember which one.

But it is good and sound advice to replace any of them that look suspect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update!

Dealer sent a technician to my home (some 160 miles) and he replaced the BECM (3rd time being replaced)! He also replaced the fuse box and several relays. Car started just fine!!!

The bad news...I came out to the garage this morning and the car had locked itself once again. I had a alarm fault/ignition tamper message on the display. Car started just fine though. Immediately called dealership.

After 6 weeks and $3500 in repairs, I'm thinking about selling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Okie-

Unfortunately I bought this from a private party!

·
3,205 Posts
Drat!
I would look up a 3rd party Rover mechanic then.
They have often have a "real world" outlook on the Rover that the dealership guys probably don't. They have a book and have to follow it for billing. That is if I understand the dealership philosophy.

I would see another mechanic....just for fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I live in a small town and, while there are a few local garages that work on Rovers, no one has the Textbook. There a shops like this in the same town as the dealership but I don't have the time to "shop" it when I go there.

Very frustrating!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dumb question because I live in the city and have to lock my doors. Isn't there a toggle that turns on/off an auto lock feature. I know when I got my truck that there were a lot of things that the truck "did" that I did not want (IE, mirrors, headlight delay, etc) After a few days with the owners manual, I had it set like I wanted it.

Sorry to hear your woes... but hopefully it gets better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the messages!!

There are no cell phone towers around my house.

Went to get something out of the car last night and the dome light did not work!

Looks like the fun may never end!

·
3,205 Posts
I had a lot of trouble with my dome lights too.
But I think it was just a bad series of bulbs. Seemed like they only lasted a month or two before they burned out. I swore I'd only by one more set of the standard kind and the next would be LED conversions.
Seems like they have held up so far after 6 months.

Good thing too, the LED were expensive and I didn't want to spend that kind of money for LEDs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Came out Christmas morning and the doors were locked. Later that afternoon the dome lights were on (twice). Never drove the car all weekend. One the afternoon of the 26th, tried to start and the battery was dead. Left a charger on for a few hours. This morning the car started fine but I got the Alarm tiggered / Ignition Tamper fault message!

·
Registered
45 Posts
hello i am a mechanic and i work on rovers but not for a dealership. like i say before it sounds like a bad earth. I have sepnd weeks checking the dam things out then jsut moved an earth and t was k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Mathew-

Thanks for the note.

I specifically asked the technician about the ground wires. He told me that the wires were a common problem and that they had checked out just fine on my car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would not trust a dealer mechanic with a bicycle. Those guys are almost always out to rip you off because you have no alternative much of the time. Sounds to me like they did not fix anything. If I HAD to use a dealer, I would certainly pay with a credit card that would allow disputes, and not hesitate to threaten the dealer. Three BECMs? Thats just rediculous when combined with the fusebox and some relays?

Still sounds like bad grounding to me.

-Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the note Dave-

Given your opinion on the grounding issue, can you give me some thoughts on what/where to check?

Thanks Dave

Scott

·
Registered
76 Posts
A pain in the arse to check out but a faulty door lock mechanism will also lock/unlock the doors and cause the dome light to illuminate.The battery will run down as the BECM is being woke up and the lock itself if its being powered up all the time.Just read back through your post,the alarm ignition tamper is probably due to you trying to start up on a flat battery. Check out the drivers door locking mechanism first,if unsure disconect for a while and live without central locking.Had this fault on another model pulled my hair out for months looking befor i found it :thinkerg: for it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts