Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anyone who's read the latest edition of Land Rover Owner International (if they could find their way through all those flippin' adverts) knows, the Defender may have some genuine competion from its Spanish cousin, the Santana.

For those who don't know- Santana started building Series Is under licence in Spain in 1956. By the late 1960s they had produced several of their own variations on the Land Rover, such a heavy-duty Forward Control and 3.3 litre 6-cylinder versions of the 2.25 petrol/diesel engines. They also built civilian versions of the 101 and Lightweight, and by the early 1980s their Series III-based products had 5-speed gearboxes, comfy interiors with proper dashboards and turbcharged 2.25 diesel engines. Crucially, whilst Land Rover used coil springs, Santana stuck with leaf springs, developing highly flexible parabolics.

Their latest offering is this- the PS-10:

It's available in Hard Top, Soft Top and Station Wagon form, still with the 109-inch Series wheelbase. The chassis gets rustproofed whilst its off the body, and power comes from a 2.8 litre Iveco 4-cylinder, with slightly more power than the Td5, but not quite as much torque, although the torque peak is lower. It has electronic common-rail injection, but that's the only electronic managment it has (unlike the Td5).

The PS-10 is slowly being released in right-hand drive to the UK, selling straight to its core markets of agricultural and utility users by Santana teaming up tractor/equipment dealers. I've had a good nose round one and flipped through the brochure.

Apart from the interior, which whilst well designed was poorly built (although no worse than a Defender), and the front end styling (although I do like the 4 headlights) I like it. Everyone I've asked has said that they think it's what Land Rover should still be producing- comfortable, refined but rugged and simple. It's available for just under £20,000, which would just abouy buy you a Defender 90 Hard Top. If I wanted a new, working vehicle, I'd have one.

Would you?

Jack

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
That front end is ugly... looks like the Crosslander and that thing is a lot cheaper.. granted it does not have the LR dna...

Serg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.