Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I managed to find the only tree next to the road... At 30mph! Is there any way of salvaging this beauty? The chassis is bent, and the steering damaged... Not sure if it will be cheaper to sell her for parts, or rebuild. I'm not sure to what extent the damage beneath the bonnet is, only crashed it 2 hours ago!!! How pissing off is that! :complain:

Anyways, here is the picture

Just for the note, it is movable with diff locks engaged - not without as far as i can see

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shaken, and i have hurt my back... but apart from that im ok... im extremely annoyed because i swerved to miss a bloody rabbit and the back end slipped away from me!!! managed to get her back, but oversteered and lost control on wet road, sending me into a massive tree and through a wall!!! ouch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep your chin up, get your self well. When you are better start seperating the damaged parts from the parts you can keep, its only then you will find out just how bad it is. Its worth doing but it is a big job, only you can deside if you want to do it. keep us up to date on how you are doing. Good luck. :drink1:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Rebuild It.

The feature that makes Defenders seem crude to some is the same feature that makes them appeal to me; their simplicity in construction. The often used aanalogy of a Meccano/Erector Set is appropriate.
If your engine is good and most of the drivetrain also, anything else can be replaced, and by anyone with average mechanical skills, a few mates to help with the occassional heavy job, and a few cans of ale.
When you're done, you will know your vehicle better than a garage, and you'll feel even better about it than you did before the tree. I have 2 1/2 yrs under my belt with Defender 110 I rebuilt myself and I honestly have not seen a better one. It was an insurance write off when I started and 6 months later something to be proud of

·
Registered
75 Posts
All Defenders can be rebuilt. :drive: Not too much skill required, just hard work.
Most of the older Series Land Rovers have been rebuilt. ;) That's why they're still around.
Make a plan of action first and work out the cost or you may end up with a half finished project - plenty of those about! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Was it insured/covered?

Saw a chassis on ebay for £300,
2nd han bumpers front panels etc are fairly cheap,
Like TerryS says, as long as the engines ok, and you have the facilities to repair it in (garage) then it looks possable. at 30mph I guess no too much damage would have hapened....

Shame about the bumper-sheesh . Did it snap off the chassis, or bend the chassis at all?

·
Registered
17 Posts
straighten the chassis and rebuild!

a good panelbeater worth his salt should be able to straighten the chassis if he has a straightrening machine, and most of them do. Apart from that do it yourself. Defenders are easy to strip and rebuild. i can strip one from driving in the shed to rolling chassis in under 8 hrs. Everything unbolts with a 10mm and a 13mm spanner and socket/ratchet, but like 1955 diesel says cost it out. We would hate to hear of an unfinished project! :) keep us posted

Pete :drink1:

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's fixable!

Considering that the car is driveable with diff locks engaged points to front axle damage - I would hazard a guess that the front diff took a whack. Try and rebuild using County parts - they're stronger. If the driveshafts need replacing, use MaxiDrive bits, they will last much longer than the standard items.

And don't swerve for rabbits in future!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.