Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
They are all pretty good

If you are going to be doing serious wheeling you may want to consider the one with the best approach angles. Weight is also a key, but the one i consider first is the best looking one... LOL JK... I have an ARB and they are solid. Thats not to say that the others are not.... I think you just need to wiegh the cost, approach angles, and weight... then decide which is better for your needs... HTH

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Heres the bumper a friend of mine and me fabbed up ussing 2x4x1/8 wall rect tube. With 3/8 plate to tie it into the winchmount and frame. The winch is a HArbor Freight special 8000lbs. Total cost cuz we had the 3/8 plate was $360 including winch, steel, and paint.
I stil have to find some tube to add a brush guard to it and still need to plasma off some of the excess metal on the winch plate. and lastly i have to fab a mount for the headlight washers.
i bought another piece for the rear and am planning on nearly the same thing out back.
Has any one built their own roof rack? im considering buying the universal gutter mounts from Atl. British and fabbing the rest.

· Registered
217 Posts
I see the pics, I think I saw them last night too.

Nice bumper... I like it. Will admit I not too sold on the winch being underneath, but I do like how it's looks.

You should make them and sell them. Some of the smaller suppliers on ebay (at least for Samurai armour) are very small scale.

Yeah HF winches. I have one on my Samurai, can't beat that price. If you look at MileMarker's lower end electric winch, it looks identical. I was telling a MM owner that and his defense was the motor was difference. Sure it is... The Winch is slow, but I have used mine plenty rock crawling. I got the idea of using a HF winch from a very built toyota truck/rock buggy. The toy truck was so built, it very seldom needed a winch, but I saw the guy do a near verticle (Hell 40 degrees or so) 40 foot pull and the HF winch worked just as well as all the "name brand" winches, just slower.

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hesitant to put the winch up underneath as well, but my rover did not come with factory skid plates or sway bars for that matter and the steering link was left way exposed. so with the winch in that position the mounting plate doubles as a skid plate. I'm sure it will have its disadvantages but at this point it rather smack the winch on a tree stump rather than my steering link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.