Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon to be new owner here. Pick up my ride Friday. Do these systems have factor satellite radio. Could just easily ask owner but its an estate car and was not hers. She is elderly and probably doesn't know and i have probably worn her out with question.

So is it factory or do I need an aftermarket interface?

· Registered
210 Posts
it should be included. My 08 SE has sat radio and i don't even have the factory nav.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I just learned I do not have sat radio in this car I'm picking up Thursday. I do not want a dash radio or an aux input radio. I want a clean interface setup or something through the nav system. Does it exist?

· Registered
662 Posts
Factory HK radio?

Let us know what radio model number is written on the top right corner of the radio. There should be a phone key pad to the left side of the display.

In an HSE, you should have the full load Harmon Kardon with satellite radio capability. Note the term capability - you may still have to purchase some bits in addition to a subscription but I doubt it as far as the bits are concerned.

You should also have HID headlights, (the small round ones) in an HSE as well as the petrol V8 engine.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks bbyer! What I have is an overloaded SE. How I read is that in 08 the factory to keep up with well equipped vehicle demand by the dealers offered many SE's with upgrades to satisfy potentisl HSE equipped buyers. Mine has Halogen lamps (going to upgrade), 9 speaker instead of 14 HK system, I do have nav, leather, power seats, 3rd row, etc etc.

What I am learning guys is there is not a lot of data out there on electronic upgrades for these things. Rover guys like me being a past Jeep guy are Offroad equipment and adventure guys. However I work in this vehicle as well in the medical sales industry and need it to be interfaced well with my long haul entertainment. I need a nice place to put my phone to charge and link music into the system with no wires showing. I will be putting in a hard wired radar detector. These are things I am looking for. I think I'm going to have to get on a stereo guy forum but geez it'd hard to stomach those dudes sometimes!!! Haha

· Registered
662 Posts
Fibre Optic system installed.

While I am not too familiar with the SE radio, the fact you have the NAV suggests you also have the fibre optic MOST "wiring" network installed.

As such, I think that the SE radio may also be attached to the MOST system, (the HSE radio is), hence just pulling it out and installing something non LR3 can shut down the MOST and then the NAV and perhaps your BlueTooth are also gone.

The link below is to a number of albums that you may find of interest. There is not much related to the entertainment systems however.

Others will know better, but they may be a LR kit re SIRIUS/XM and that would include an antenna as well. It is possible the antenna is already installed in the rear along with the GPS antenna - perhaps in the Sharks fin, otherwise within the upper LED brake light plastic where the GPS antenna often is located.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Home > Member Galleries > bbyer

· Registered
210 Posts
I need a nice place to put my phone to charge and link music into the system with no wires showing.
You mean you don't want to have a crappy quality AUX cord going out of your iphone that is thrown in one of the cup holders,into the REAR center console in order to hear your music?????

That is the one thing I absolutely hate about my LR3 and my wifes Sport. 55k-65k vehicles in the year 2008 and they couldn't do better than that? That is my one true complaint about both our newer Rovers. Oh well, still love 'em

· Registered
210 Posts
Others will know better, but they may be a LR kit re SIRIUS/XM and that would include an antenna as well. It is possible the antenna is already installed in the rear along with the GPS antenna - perhaps in the Sharks fin, otherwise within the upper LED brake light plastic where the GPS antenna often is located.
I don't know if this helps but my 08 SE does have factory Sirius/XM and bluetooth but no NAV. My dealer told me the Sat. radio antenna was in the sharks fin.

· Registered
662 Posts
How do you tune Sirius/XM?

My 2005 HSE's factory radio does not have the Sirius feature.

I was wondering however, for a factory HK radio that does have the Sirius, how does one call it up?

Is there a Sirius button much like either the AM or FM or CD individual buttons or is the AUX button somehow used?

I was just wondering; I know that my HSE's radio does not and cannot have the Sirius, (well I could buy an aftermarket kit and mount it on an air vent).

I was in a 2014 GMC pickup with the TV set style "radio" in the centre and the display sort of had a special Sirius button or at least a soft button that you could set to select a preset satellite station.

· Registered
22 Posts
Hey thanks bbyer! What I have is an overloaded SE. How I read is that in 08 the factory to keep up with well equipped vehicle demand by the dealers offered many SE's with upgrades to satisfy potentisl HSE equipped buyers. Mine has Halogen lamps (going to upgrade), 9 speaker instead of 14 HK system, I do have nav, leather, power seats, 3rd row, etc etc.

What I am learning guys is there is not a lot of data out there on electronic upgrades for these things. Rover guys like me being a past Jeep guy are Offroad equipment and adventure guys. However I work in this vehicle as well in the medical sales industry and need it to be interfaced well with my long haul entertainment. I need a nice place to put my phone to charge and link music into the system with no wires showing. I will be putting in a hard wired radar detector. These are things I am looking for. I think I'm going to have to get on a stereo guy forum but geez it'd hard to stomach those dudes sometimes!!! Haha
I have an 06 SE and it has the sat radio. Do you have the 6 CD changer? PRess the aux button and if it does have sat it should go to aux, sat1, sat2 and back to aux.

Also press the menu button on the right and scroll down to sat info. should give a code that you use to activate the sirius account online with.

· Registered
662 Posts
have 6 CD and keypad

Thanks for telling me what to look for.

My 6 CD changer and keypad hi line radio has a sticker on it showing a build date of early 2005, same as the vehicle and hence no satellite capability; also nothing related to satellite radio comes up when I call up the menu button.

It sounds like for model year 2006 or if you got a replacement radio sometime after, it had the satellite radio feature.

I assume that means the satellite antenna must also be installed somewhere, probably within the LED brake light assembly. I would not think your 2006 has a sharks fin on top as that is where the satellite antenna is located on later models.

· Computer Nerd
802 Posts
It looks like the 2005 part number for sat radio receiver is XRA000070, which has been SS to the 2006 part number XRA500042. I'm not sure if you can just plug it in and go, but my 2006 SE HK radio looks just like how you describe your 2005 HSE radio.

My 2006 has the shark fin, but I don't have NAV.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys good conversation. Yes I have the sat and am all up and running. Seems I have this stereo confing: HK, 1 Dash Center, Front Doors- Tweeter in corner and 1 round driver, Read Doors, 2 round drivers, 1 Rear deck sub. I guess that is 10 speakers. Not sure if that is the average one or the big one. I could not even tell it had a sub until i played some music and put my ear on the rear tailgate. Pitiful. I am going to speak to my stereo guy and get some advice. I am 35 and dont like a bunch of bump but I do like range and I need more hit in the midbass and high section of low bass. I am thinking 2 shallow 6 inch drivers and 1 shallow 8 inch drivers in the rear somewhere. Possibly a speaker change in the front 6 inch speakers for better range and new technology. Keep everything else as is.

And yes Eniam that set up is utterly pitiful with rear Aux and such. The sound quality is fine but the system really shines in CD mode. Sat is just very average and the AUX is doable even with iTunes quality downloads. I want a product that charges and Aux in that is a hard clean mount on the front. Here is cool product but no AUX from what I can tell:

Apple iPhone 4 / 4s with a Case Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel for Fixed Installation. - ProClip USA

Here is the cool product while we are on it go to mount my valentine nice and clean. Its on order:
Valentine One Radar Detector Mount

· Computer Nerd
802 Posts
I wonder if maybe the subs or the amps for them go bad. Mine is also pitifully weak. My previous daily driver was a 2004 Acura TL and the sub did a much better job. Like you said, I don't need it to thump, but I would like some fuller sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
662 Posts
rear sub never worked

I do not think the rear sub ever worked - well at least not on the early models. My 3 is a 2005 and other than feeling a bit of vibration, that is about all one seems to get. The real problem is I do not think anything is wrong - that is just the way it is.

As to a fix, I do not think there is one. Maybe someone with a newer year 3 or 4 can comment as to if anything seems to come from it. I might note that within the radio head unit where one sets base, treble etc, there is a setting for the sub-woofer, but it does not seem to do much.

Also with the high end radio, there are no speaker wires as you know them exiting out the radio; a fibre optic cable sends the sound signals to an amp located under the front seats. From that amp, there are conventional speaker wires, some even leading to the rear to what LR calls a sub woofer and the rest of us regard as a nice try.

In the low end head unit, pins 3, 4, 5 and 6 plus 13, 14, 15 and 16 carry speaker signal in normal wires; in the high end, those pins are blank in Connector C1354 feeding into the rear of the head unit. Instead the high end radio has a dual cable fibre optic plug in the rear feeding to the NAV and to the Harmon Kardon Logic 7, (or not), amplifier. I say "or not", as there are two models of the HK amp, one that handles perhaps 9 speakers and the Logic 7 model that feeds 14 speakers if you can find them.

Premium Audio - Harman/Kardon LOGIC7 Audio System Speaker List

Item Description
01 - Front RH bass speaker
02 - Front RH tweeter
03 - Front RH mid range speaker
04 - Rear RH mid/bass speaker
05 - Rear RH tweeter
06 - Rear RH surround speaker
07 - Rear LH surround speaker
08 - Sub-woofer
09 - Rear LH tweeter
10 - Rear LH mid/bass speaker
11 - Front LH mid range speaker
12 - Front LH bass speaker
13 - Front LH tweeter
14 - Front centre fill speaker

Incidentally, I regard my high end Logic 7 radio as like driving around with the Boston Pops in the back seat. There is no thumping for certain, but high end sounds such as snare drums, piccolo or cymbal, well you never hear that in a Chev or even an Escalade. I think it is harder to make high frequencies clear with no static than bass, as it hides the static.

Matt Bettis Cymbals - YouTube

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed BByer I definitely don't have the mid bass drivers in the doors and that does make a difference. Love the ride just gotta tweek some stuff to make it mine. Gonna look into getting some harder driving stuff for kick drum and bass guitar. If anyone gets any intel on speaker, amplification, and location let us know.

· Registered
210 Posts
The sub in my 08 SE definitely works. It sounds good and tight for a stock system, no major vibrations. I do notice the overall sound quality is better in my wifes Sport as she has the HSE Lux package with the Logic7. The bass is certainly better as well. But the sub in my LR3 definitely works well. I used to do a fair amount of car audio stuff so my ears are tuned pretty well to pickup on this stuff.

Is it really possible the 05/06 models had subs that bad and they improved them, or do you guys think yours just aren't working?

· Computer Nerd
802 Posts
So I listened to a cd today for the first time in quite a while. It sounded much better. I'm guessing that PART of the issue might be satellite radio....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.