Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. The fiance just bought an Alpine head unit that is XM ready, and is planning to install it in his F150 when the last part he needs arrives... sooo, since XM lets you have a family plan where you can add service to another vehicle for like an extra $6 a month, I want it in my Disco (1997 D1). My question for anyone who can answer it... what is the better way to go... to buy the portable XM receiver or buy a new head unit? And if I did go with a new head unit, how would I get my Pioneer (standard equip) 6 disk under the seat hooked up? Thanks!

·
rovering??
689 Posts
ilovemydisco said:
Hi all. The fiance just bought an Alpine head unit that is XM ready, and is planning to install it in his F150 when the last part he needs arrives... sooo, since XM lets you have a family plan where you can add service to another vehicle for like an extra $6 a month, I want it in my Disco (1997 D1). My question for anyone who can answer it... what is the better way to go... to buy the portable XM receiver or buy a new head unit? And if I did go with a new head unit, how would I get my Pioneer (standard equip) 6 disk under the seat hooked up? Thanks!
well now .. thats a difficult thing.. i would say get the portable thingie as it would be much easier to connect to the existing unit rather than getting a new xm ready unit that will accept your cd changer...if u want to go for the head unit you may have very limited options as the cd changer is compatible with very few head units..finally it is your choice..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hello,
You can get any head unit that is xm ready, but it is going to require some extensive new wiring, and isn't going to be too cheap. I have a sirius portable unit in my car and it works great. In my opinion I would go for that because it's just easier. With the amplified system in your car, its probably not the best way to go to get a new head unit. You will pay more for the install then the head unit.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You can go for the portable one. When you look at installing that thing, make sure you get a pair of VW antenna adapters. Oddly enough, these will fit the Rover, BMW and of course the VW. They do make a direct connection to the antenna for those XM Radio units for around 25.00. The VW antenna adapters will run you 25.00 for the pair. If you want to run it FM direct, you will have to have those VW adapters. FYI.

Might be easier than changing over the head unit. I kind of like the Weather Band!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.