Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi world and Merry Christmas

I have just completed a 700 km run on my 96 discovery with a 110, 000 k’s on the clock and have a dash light that comes on intermittently. I have never seen in it in my usual round town driving.

It like looks like a piece of exhaust with heat waves coming off it (it is red). The disco had a moderate load including 200 kg trailer. It comes on intermittently in two situations.
1) Under heavy prolonged acceleration (up a long hill) and goes off as we button off the accelerator
2) On prolonged overrun (down a long hill)

As it Christmas day and there is nowhere open for the next week (the franchise dealer is closed between Xmas and the new year). Can someone please tell me, what the light indicates and will I do damage if I continue to drive the car.

Thanks

Tonka_Thom

:dunno:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cat

Hi Tonka,

Sounds like the cat is overheating for some reason or that the sensor thinks the cat is over heating. I'd get it checked as soon as. Providing it isn't on all the time I don't think it will be a prblem.

Peace,
Wes ( ABS light now off)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Can you better describe the warning light, there are no overheat lights for the cats.
Mike J.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If it kind of looks like an exclamation mark with lines coming off to the side and a ring around it then it is the transmission overheat light. If so check your fluid level. If full then I wouldn't drive it unless you could make it to a dealer or repair shop without it coming on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help so far.

by Cat do you mean Catalytic converter?

it looks like a "C" turned facing down, above a "C" turned facing up. these are between two equals signs. the light is on when the ignition is switched on then goes off once the engine is started.

the behaviour to me, makes me think of an Auto transmission overheat warning. (but this sounds nothing like what was previously described for this.)

sorry Disco is Petrol, Automatic, serviced less than 2000Kms ago

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep, I'm sure it is a Catalytic converter warning light, the Cats are getting too hot for some reason and it sounds like it might be the way you are driving it. If memory serves me right yours is a Jap import, fixing the fault could be tricky cos the official Oz/Nz discos didn't have warning lights for the Cats ( I'm not sure if they have any) will check tomorrow.

Wes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the car is a Japanese import.

catalytic converters are not a certification issue in NZ, so there are no requirements to have them, therefore I not worried about them being hot. the concern to me is why is the exhaust hot.

the only reason that i can think of is an air leak on the intake side, causing it to run lean. and that worries me as that could cause burnt valves etc.

:drive:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.