Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 d2 w 195k miles.
Radiator split at seam on driver’s side tank. It was at least 7 years old (maybe more). Replaced it.
BUT after new radiator installed,
Bottom hose practically cold.

Replaced t-stat w soft spring motorad.
Bottom hose now warm but not hot-hot.
BUT temps at 205 while idling and 196 to 200 when driving.
I’d like to be sub-200 all the time. Any thoughts?

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Report update:

Topped off coolant from tstat replacement.
idled in driveway for 30 minutes: 205 then drop to 201.

Went to carwash, idled while vacuuming interier. Carwash outside.
It’s been running at idle and street for an hour. Temps up to 205 but more consistently at 201.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Further report:
In Phoenix and it's only 66F out.
Idle temps get to 205 and it did touch 207 briefly, but mostly staying right around 198 to 201.
Am I paranoid?
Do you blame me?
Thanks for your comments and input - appreciate it!

· Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
514 Posts
No. I'm paranoid too but mine isn't running that high Mike. I don't know what you have going on but something doesn't seem right to me. Mine was running JUST like that and I had a small headgasket leak in mine last year. It would never heat up enough to overheat but in the summer I was seeing 205 and then 212 idle - and that is just too high for my taste.

I'm sitting at 188 - 192 now and same as you - Phoenix.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am guessing I have some "seepage at the corners" of my heads, but don't think that would cause this.
Perhaps my tstat was mislabeled at the parts store?
What radiator do you have?
I have an AB radiator and softspring tstat, straight off the shelf.

Seems like the workshop manual does say tstat opens at 180 and is fully open at 204.
And at idle I'm at 200 to 205 - my only concern is this ain't even close to August in the Valley of the Sun!!!

Can I drill out the tstat and just be done with this?
What's another bullet proofing is there?
Thanks.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
This is a new truck to you correct? Any idea what the temps were previous to the rad failure?
lots of issues historically with junky thermostats and motorad isn’t what I would consider a premium brand.
Lots of other potential causes
Is it fully bled? (I know you have lots of experience with this but had to mention)
-fan clutch
-water pump
- coolant cap
Etc.
I have to wonder what caused the rad to fail?

Reactions: 15mpg

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Make sure it's bled all the way. These trucks are a pain in the ass to bleed as I'm sure you and most D2 owners know. Then check your fan clutch.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my same old truck - just reclaimed from the Mrs. and now no longer her daily driver.

I think the tstat stuck and caused radiator failure.

I replaced the radiator and upon my test drive after noticed the bottom hose literally cold (not even warm) - so replaced tstat.
Now, bottom hose is warm like it should be, but still reading these temps.

Raised the reservoir when filling like I always do and full stream out of bleed screw like normal - seems like it's bled.

I've done like 6 reservoir replacements so I think I have the fill part down ok, but shucks still not sure why I would temp would be 205.

PS - fan clutch feels good, good resistance.

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Try cracking the bleed screw while holding the revs up - sometimes there are super stubborn bubbles that need to be forced out. It took me like 5 tries to fully bleed my truck when I redid the head gaskets, water pump, and radiator about a year ago.

· Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
514 Posts
I am guessing I have some "seepage at the corners" of my heads, but don't think that would cause this.
Perhaps my tstat was mislabeled at the parts store?
What radiator do you have?
I have an AB radiator and softspring tstat, straight off the shelf.

Seems like the workshop manual does say tstat opens at 180 and is fully open at 204.
And at idle I'm at 200 to 205 - my only concern is this ain't even close to August in the Valley of the Sun!!!

Can I drill out the tstat and just be done with this?
What's another bullet proofing is there?
Thanks.
I've got an Allisport on the 01 and putting the Nissens in the 04. I don't know they make the Nissens I have anymore? I got it 10 years ago and it was an upgrade from stock (all aluminum, inc side-tanks). I got it from BPUtah, but again, that was a decade ago brutha.

Buddy of mine down in Buckeye is going with the bypass method. I'll let you know how it works out.

I'm with you there. FYI, mine was very small - seepage in the back and it wouldn't have been able to tell if you didn't know that trucks, if that makes sense as to how small my leak was.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:
Raised reservoir, bleed screw steady stream.
Ran it for 45 minutes and it settled at 203F.
Bottom hose was warm but not hot.

Noticed a cool spot on the radiator - middle-left~ish and passenger side bottom corner.

I guess I never touched the radiator before - the drivers side is hot enough to fry an egg.
But middle-to-passenger side was not hot, not really even warm in those spots.

That don't seem right - but hoping you all can advise me.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updated UPDATE:
After a short drive to the corner store and back (left it running whilst inside) and the long way around the block to home, 205F in parking lot and 199 driving.
Radiator was actually warm to the touch all the way across when I got home. Hmmmm....
Could AB have shipped me a regular tstat by mistake?
#paranoidbutteachable

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Updated UPDATE:
After a short drive to the corner store and back (left it running whilst inside) and the long way around the block to home, 205F in parking lot and 199 driving.
Radiator was actually warm to the touch all the way across when I got home. Hmmmm....
Could AB have shipped me a regular tstat by mistake?
#paranoidbutteachable
I got a 190 standard t-stat when I ordered a 180 soft spring from FCP Euro. Could very well be that.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well shucks, now I am chasing a ghost.
Anyway to tell on the outside of an installed tstat if it's truly a soft-spring (I am not pulling it out to test it, just yet).

I'm driving it to work 10mi one way - we'll see how/what she does and report back.

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Usually soft spring are grey/black, normal are white in color. other than that, not sure

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
I believe Soft spring tstats from Atlantic British have always been white also - which mine is (i think) ha!.😄

And V50, I checked out your truck - it looks kick-ass awesome!
Thanks!

· Registered
8 Posts
2004 d2 w 195k miles.
Radiator split at seam on driver’s side tank. It was at least 7 years old (maybe more). Replaced it.
BUT after new radiator installed,
Bottom hose practically cold.

Replaced t-stat w soft spring motorad.
Bottom hose now warm but not hot-hot.
BUT temps at 205 while idling and 196 to 200 when driving.
I’d like to be sub-200 all the time. Any thoughts?
Get rid of the Tstat from LR. Go to inlinethermostat.com, do the bypass. I battled for years with Temp issues until i did this mod last summer. game changer...especially in the mountains on a hot summer day.

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I guess I never touched the radiator before - the drivers side is hot enough to fry an egg.
But middle-to-passenger side was not hot, not really even warm in those spots.
If the middle of the radiator is not hot the viscous fan will not lock well cos the bimatalic spring is triggered by the radiator's radiant heat or the other way around once the fan is locked the radiator's middle will be cooled better cos there's more air flow

Reactions: V50_M66
1 - 20 of 44 Posts