Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
514 Posts
Been running at 194 to 201 consistently since I originally started this thread. I suspect my supposed “180 tstat” is actual a stock higher temp version. Rolling w it for now.
I know you all were wondering about this 🤣.
The 04 is running at 200 consistently. I'm thinking the same. May move the tstat from the 01 over to the 04 and test. I know the 01 runs at 188 - here, in the summer.

· Registered
4 Posts
Report update:

Topped off coolant from tstat replacement.
idled in driveway for 30 minutes: 205 then drop to 201.

Went to carwash, idled while vacuuming interier. Carwash outside.
It’s been running at idle and street for an hour. Temps up to 205 but more consistently at 201.

Any thoughts?
the factory manual says the operating temp is 212 degrees farenheit

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
the factory manual says the operating temp is 212 degrees farenheit
And if you run it there all the time, you will blow head gaskets out of it every few thousand miles

· Registered
2000 Discovery
2 Posts
I have a 2000 Disco 2. When I got mine 2 years ago it was running 204 on the road and 208-212 at idle. I replaced the factory t stat with a motor rad 180 and had very similar temps to yours. After battling with it for a year I finally decided to replace the motor rad tstat with the LR genuine 180 soft spring t stat. Temps are 187-191 cruising on the highway at 75, idle it settles at 198 with the AC on (aux fan running) and 201 with AC off. If I let it idle long enough it will settle steady at 198.

Since I've had my rig I've replaced the fan and fan clutch with a factory unit, and replaced the rad with a cheap Amazon special unit. Bleeding the cooling system can be tedious, when I got the genuine t stat installed I was getting the reported lower temps on the first bleed. My bleeding procedure was cracking the bleed screw over a period of a week before every cold start and redoing the procedure. My temps stayed the same. I considered doing the inline mod if I couldn't get the temps down, but the factory 180 t stat got them low enough that I'm happy with it. The genuine t stat is also plug and play which and that should be considered. At the end of the day we all want to drive our rigs and not worry about it. I'd get an ultra gauge if you're overly concerned.

Dan

41 - 44 of 44 Posts