Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to sinking my teeth into some new tires in the next 2-3 months. What is the biggest and best bang for my buck on tires. A solid cross between road and off road. I used to roll the old BFG A/Ts on my Isuzu Pooper back in the day but not sure how those will work/look on the LRUrban Assault Vehicle3. Recommendations???

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am liking my General Grabber AT2's a lot. Pretty quiet on the road, they have about 25k miles on them and still plenty of tread left which is good for an LR3. Not bad off road for moderate stuff either.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i have 255/60/18's. They are a 30" tire. After ripping some front and rear bumper plastic off last weekend due to lack of ground clearance in off road mode, I think I'm going to step up to a 31.5" tire with a IID tool to get some extra height but still maintain decent on road performance/gas mileage.

What size are you looking for? Are you running stock height or a lift?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm rolling stock. I'm just wanting something to fill up the wheel well nice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 286/65/R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers which are 32.6" dia. with a 2" lift via IID tool. They fill up the wheel wells really nicely. You do sacrifice handling when you run tires this big and heavy, traction control tries to kick in a lot more often if you corner too fast.

The only modifications I had to do was relocate the wire going to the height sensor in the left front wheel well from the side of the frame to the top of the frame and trim a small bit of plastic from the inside of the fender well liner.

My father is running 255/60/18 Firestone Destination ST on his LR3. They are super quiet on the road and still have a fairly aggressive tread.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have 286/65/R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers which are 32.6" dia. with a 2" lift via IID tool. They fill up the wheel wells really nicely. You do sacrifice handling when you run tires this big and heavy, traction control tries to kick in a lot more often if you corner too fast.

The only modifications I had to do was relocate the wire going to the height sensor in the left front wheel well from the side of the frame to the top of the frame and trim a small bit of plastic from the inside of the fender well liner.

My father is running 255/60/18 Firestone Destination ST on his LR3. They are super quiet on the road and still have a fairly aggressive tread.
How is the ride with the 32.6's and 2" lift for every day driving? I want to get some 31.5's and probably stay stock height or 1" of lift for everyday driving by using the IID tool. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was always surprised how well the stock LR3 drives. It's almost car-like. Since I moved to the huge tires and lift, it drives like a truck, no question. Handling isn't very crisp. The ride is more rough (more inflated suspension = higher pressure = stiffer)

31.5 is a good trade off. If I did more highway driving I probably would've gone with the nitto terra grappler in 285/60/r18 instead, and only done a 1/4" lift on the rear and 3/4" on the front. The LR3 has kindof a nose down stance in stock config. I think it looks better leveled out. I did the same with my current lift with 2+" in the front and only about 1.5" in the rear. The IID tool makes tinkering with the levels pretty easy. This would've been a nightmare with adjustable rods.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Based on your description, that was exactly what I was looking for good on / off road use.

Just put Cooper ZEON LTZ 255 55 R19's on and I am extremely happy.

Previous owner had FIRESTONE DESTINATION ST's on which I hated with a passion, they were more like a lower profile car tire (road handling / cornering great, but poor response / traction in mud, snow, etc. and not very forgiving).

Haven't seen much significant off road action yet with the ZEON's beyond light snow / light mud but they seem very capable.

On road (majority of my use), I haven't noticed any humming or noise at all, and handling is just as tight.
Picked them up for $240 /tire (mounted)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts