Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,
It has come to my attention that all you fellows have bloody fancy motors,Does no-one have any old crap machines (by old I mean more than 20 years old) very little series talk its all newish gear.There must be loads of old junk out there.

An electrical fault to me is my points need setting,with you chaps its my super electronic heated seat mainframe has encountered a syntax error and my ass is cold,

Buy junk!! its much more fun! :buttrock:

ONz out

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right

Right on :buttrock: Hammers :buttrock: yeah :buttrock:

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
If we had any Series trucks in the states we would all own one.
I hear you can get into a Series truck for $6000 here. But that is a true hunk of junk. A shop recently put a 1985 Defender with diesel motor up for sale. $25,500 (US).
I don't have the kinda money you think I might have. I can't afford to shell out that kinda dough. There isn't a bank in town that would loan me anywhere near that for a 1985 auto. Even if it was "expedition ready".
OkRovers Vehicles for sale
2nd one down.

·
Registered
321 Posts
OkieRover said:
If we had any Series trucks in the states we would all own one.
I hear you can get into a Series truck for $6000 here. But that is a true hunk of junk. A shop recently put a 1985 Defender with diesel motor up for sale. $25,500 (US).
completely agree. Trying to find a series truck in decent shape is hard. Second, finding parts are next to impossible and when you do find one, they're going to ask for alot of money as there's not many around.
If we had all had tones of money as you suggest, then we'd be driving around in a Series truck or maybe a defender.
take care
sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
general

onslow said:
Hi Fellas,
It has come to my attention that all you fellows have bloody fancy motors,Does no-one have any old crap machines (by old I mean more than 20 years old) very little series talk its all newish gear.There must be loads of old junk out there.

An electrical fault to me is my points need setting,with you chaps its my super electronic heated seat mainframe has encountered a syntax error and my ass is cold,

Buy junk!! its much more fun! :buttrock:

ONz out
If you take a look at the Land Rover's section of EBAY motors, you will find it is easier and usually cheaper to find a great shape mid to late 90's RR or Disco than it is to find a running series I,II or II (6-13K) never mind a 94-97 DEFENDER D90 for under 25K $US or a DEFENDER D110 for under 35k $US. Signed a past owner of a (20+yr and for 20+yrs :cool: )old Datsun (nissan) B210

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Yep... series vehicles are hard to find here and EXPENSIVE! You'd be hard pressed to find a beater 109" for under $7k! :rolleyes:

Serg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jesus thats expensive!

My little 1983 truck cab cost me £1000-about $1790 and that was in good condition and ready for the road (or off road!).

Isnt there some problems importing old vehicles for use in certain states? This could be one of the reasons for the reletive scarcity of Series trucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey now there are a few of us who have 20+ year old LRs. My family currently has a 1965.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Cerberus said:
My little 1983 truck cab cost me £1000-about $1790 and that was in good condition and ready for the road (or off road!).

Isnt there some problems importing old vehicles for use in certain states? This could be one of the reasons for the reletive scarcity of Series trucks.
HA! $1750 for a series truck?! That would have brought an EASY $5k here.. easy. I am not sure exactly what the importation rules are, I am sure it is a lot of red tape. I did read up on it a bit the other night, and it seemed like it is not the easiest thing to do, but doable. The trick is to import a vehicle that is 25 years or older to avoid meeting the safety requirements and other regulations newer vehicle would have to meet.

Serg

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I bought my first 2A just 30 years ago, drove it daily for 7 years, and have had a few more since then. Forunately, their frames and bulkheads rot out quick enough that our kidneys get a respite. I spent 6 months restoring a '93 NAS 110, that had suffered an engine fire. Great engineering, route the oil cooler lines three quarters of an inch from the manifold. When I got it, it had spent it's first 55K in Florida. In 2 1/2 years, it's frame is looking just like my first 2A. We don't all drive auto boxes, but as far as JD Powers Surveys go, we all drive junk. Those of us hopelessly infected prefer to call it junque, it sounds the same to non-believers, but we know the difference.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roll Up Roll Up!!!!!!!

Welcome to Big Onslows Landrover Exportation Company All series motors available tell us what you want and we will find it,from series 1 to D90/110 well put it in a box and send it where you want it,all at discount prices for landrovers only members!!!!! errr errr YEEEEHAH and so on and so forth.

But seriously if anyone does want something old let me know and I will have a look around over here.For a suitable motor.

ONz out

·
Registered
223 Posts
So if I were to sell mine I should advertise it over there so you could ship it in, and me make loads of money. ( my car is 31 years old) :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Painting with a wide brush there, mate!

Daily driver is a 1960 (built in October 59) SII, 88" RHD.

44 years old, manual (WITHOUT synchro on first and second) shifting with different hand than most Septics and I'm driving on the wrong side!

No power steering or power brakes. No air conditioning (unless I unbolt the hardtop-try that with a Plush mobile LR!)

Parts-no problem! Rovers North, British Pacific, Atlantic British, Thatched Roof Garage, Rovers Down South and Ebay. CAn get anything within 3-4 days-if I can't fix it with a BFH or duct tape!

Some of us prefer the Series rather than the Newer stuff!

" A real Land Rover has a Steel Dash and Leaf Springs!"

·
Registered
139 Posts
we have too much money??...

never confuse that fact with... we work more hours per week and per year than any other industrialized nation in the world.

i hope you are not holding THAT against our country too ...

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
steady

Steady on young fella me lad! :) :D
Its not international warfare!!! :wave:

·
Registered
31 Posts
You tell'em Art.
Some of us do drive series vehicals, but they were never plentiful on this side of the pond, and those that were here fell into disrepair.
I'm driving a '68 IIa 88" bugeye which will shortly be getting a new frame courtesy of Rovers North. The big three (RN, AB and BP supply us with most of the parts we need.) A couple of years ago I put in a major order with Paddocks. (doors, seats, hood, sticks etc.)
That said I also have a '99 DII.

Greg H

1 - 20 of 37 Posts