Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want Opinions as there is going to be a longer series of videos From Dust Runners Automotive Journal talking more in-depth about discoveries along with upgrading my personal disco along the way with in depth coverage of that whole process.

Here is the article A Look Into the Discovery II: The Last Solid Built Land Rover - Dust Runners Automotive Journal

Over the years I have found forums like these to be one of the best knowledge bases for any subject, so I'm asking what kinds of thing you guys would like to see in future updates and build videos

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
I think you need to go through the article and check for typo's I found one in the first paragraph. Also it is not the last adventure Land Rover sold that distinction goes to the Defender since your basing it on having solid axles. I would argue any of the current range are as capable if not more so stock for stock and modified it gets even more interesting.

As a whole I would think more research needs to be done, by the writer of the article.

· Registered
225 Posts
that's your truck? sharp, man. what modifications have you done to it? Have you been proactive with addressing the issues associated with the drivetrain, engine, and cooling system. Good article, I'm glad the Disco its getting its due somewhere as opposed to the trolls that only write articles in order to point out and flame on the few negatives.

If you are going to publish more information on the Discovery2, more specifically the 2003-04 models, which I'm familiar with, you should discuss the engine operating temperatures and how to prevent damage to the head gaskets. Moreover, there is a defect in the factory oil pump and front cover that may not have been addressed on every vehicle that fell within the VIN range, so people should be aware that this portion of the engine may need updating as well, especially when servicing the timing set.

Obviously there is a lot more including the driveshafts, but if these flaws were more common knowledge, I don't think that guys would be so afraid to buy them if there were articles out there which touch base on necessary repairs to these older trucks.

· Registered
225 Posts
I think you need to go through the article and check for typo's I found one in the first paragraph. Also it is not the last adventure Land Rover sold that distinction goes to the Defender since your basing it on having solid axles. I would argue any of the current range are as capable if not more so stock for stock and modified it gets even more interesting.

As a whole I would think more research needs to be done, by the writer of the article.
This may be true, but I haven't seen a lot of stuff like this out there. At least it hasn't jumped-out at me when surfing the web. I like it, and as I was saying before, it would be good to point out some issues that we in the know like to address, so that others aren't blowing their engines up on a daily basis or asking 100 stupid questions in the forums, like "How do I get my ABS light to turn off." Simply obnoxious

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may be true, but I haven't seen a lot of stuff like this out there. At least it hasn't jumped-out at me when surfing the web. I like it, and as I was saying before, it would be good to point out some issues that we in the know like to address, so that others aren't blowing their engines up on a daily basis or asking 100 stupid questions in the forums, like "How do I get my ABS light to turn off." Simply obnoxious
Yes i haven't even gotten into the problem section of this article and thats also going to have a video to go along with it. While I love my rover it does have its problems and more come every couple months. As of right now Its sitting at 1.5" OME lift and 32 in tires. Other things that have been done are after market serviceable HD Driveshaft, the light bars as you can see on the front, Tubular bumper designed by myself, and a bunch of fixes I have found over the years for many electronics in the vehicle. This year Im hoping to have the time and money to do a couple major upgrades like the center diff lock lever addition, winch for the front, rebuild of the engine HG, bearings, rings, timing chain, all the misc gaskets. There is a lot of work to be put into this rover in the coming year but that just makes for more videos and stories down the line.

PS: I am highly dyslexic so pay no mind to small spelling mistakes. I don't need more comments on how to spell I'm simply looking for some useful input on a subject.

· Registered
225 Posts
Yes i haven't even gotten into the problem section of this article and thats also going to have a video to go along with it. While I love my rover it does have its problems and more come every couple months. As of right now Its sitting at 1.5" OME lift and 32 in tires. Other things that have been done are after market serviceable HD Driveshaft, the light bars as you can see on the front, Tubular bumper designed by myself, and a bunch of fixes I have found over the years for many electronics in the vehicle. This year Im hoping to have the time and money to do a couple major upgrades like the center diff lock lever addition, winch for the front, rebuild of the engine HG, bearings, rings, timing chain, all the misc gaskets. There is a lot of work to be put into this rover in the coming year but that just makes for more videos and stories down the line.

PS: I am highly dyslexic so pay no mind to small spelling mistakes. I don't need more comments on how to spell I'm simply looking for some useful input on a subject.
Nothing stands out in your grammar. I suppose when you asked for opinions on the article, other dude must have understood that as literary, too. Are you registered to landroverforums.com? That's a great website for discovery enthusiasts; LOTS of active, participating members and a wealth of information. Discoweb.org is a pretty good board too, but I refer to it mostly for the technical articles and an alphebetized list of fixes, repairs and modifications for the discovery which includes detailed photos. You can reach many more disco enthusiasts and have access to much more information on those 2 websites.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing stands out in your grammar. I suppose when you asked for opinions on the article, other dude must have understood that as literary, too. Are you registered to landroverforums.com? That's a great website for discovery enthusiasts; LOTS of active, participating members and a wealth of information. Discoweb.org is a pretty good board too, but I refer to it mostly for the technical articles and an alphebetized list of fixes, repairs and modifications for the discovery which includes detailed photos. You can reach many more disco enthusiasts and have access to much more information on those 2 websites.
Discoweb.org is one that i haven't been on too much. Ill have to check that one out for more in depth mods and fixes. I have been researching discos for years now but i feel like there is always more info and tricks to get make these trucks go even farther for longer

· Registered
225 Posts
When it comes time to replace the headgaskets on your truck be sure to completely rebuild and resurface the heads along with a valve job and port/polish on the tunnels. Depending on your year-model, If you haven't replaced the spark plug leads yet, that would be a good time as the upper intake is removed to reach the coil packs which are sandwiched down there against the bulkhead. Same with the valve cover and gaskets since the bolts are located underneath the plenum, but when going to the cylinder heads, it has to be addressed anyway. If you haven't switched your cooling system to an inline thermostat, you should do that after the top-end so that you maintain consistent, cooler operating temperatures and you won't have to worry about the head gaskets again. I'm not doing too bad at 200 deg but I don't like the temp swings and I really don't trust the factory setup at all. I'm going online before summer season hits down here in Texas. Probably the single best modification that I have seen for this particular vehicle, sans the over-heating issue relative to the model.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discoweb.org is one that i haven't been on too much. Ill have to check that one out for more in depth mods and fixes. I have been researching discos for years now but i feel like there is always more info and tricks to get make these trucks go even farther for longer
The "tech" link on the homepage header of Discoweb is what I was referring to, but you have probably visited that link but if not, go check that out.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't know. Kind of sounds like your re-inventing the wheel. With all the LR forums / vendors / tech articles / books / magazines, etc.... (here and overseas), I don't know if there's a lot of new ground to cover. If your not finding what you want, I suggest your not looking hard enough. Your Discoweb reference proves my point. There are mountains of info on every LR model out there to be had on maint, mods, etc...
Just PLEASE, don't be the guy who claims he can drop any motor into one of these trucks and trick the electronics into working like stock.

· Registered
225 Posts
Just want Opinions as there is going to be a longer series of videos From Dust Runners Automotive Journal talking more in-depth about discoveries along with upgrading my personal disco along the way with in depth coverage of that whole process.

Here is the article A Look Into the Discovery II: The Last Solid Built Land Rover - Dust Runners Automotive Journal

Over the years I have found forums like these to be one of the best knowledge bases for any subject, so I'm asking what kinds of thing you guys would like to see in future updates and build videos
It wouldn't be anything unless it has tutorials. Tutorials which include the inline thermostat modification, head-gasket and oil-pump replacement, installing a new head-unit or screen to properly work with the factory sound system, ABS faults and fixes, system monitoring gadgets, different lift-kit makes and chart comparison, a tutorial on that installation, maybe a reference to the favorite parts retailers both new and used, I.e. PT, KYscrap, great-basin, Lucky8, Paul Grant, TarHeel Rovers. Newbies out there that aren't as smart as some of us need to know that the disco is not very sophisticated and that they don't have to utilize over-prices auto garages and dealerships to steal all of their money and charge them 300xtimes retail OEM price for the measiliest of parts on top of their $90-100 labor cost. Dumb people also need more info on diagnosing more common problems like "Check Engine Light" and fault codes, engine over-heating and death-wobble. All of these things need to be addressed if this "Dust Runners" is going to continue this full-length, multi-tiered publication. Back when I first started researching, I would have really appreciated something like this with all of these subjects threaded together. I also would have a planted a big wet-one on the buttocks of whomever told me that the temp gauge on the 2003-04 is practically useless and that I needed to figure out what my engine temperatures are and where they need to be or else I would blow the head gaskets. There are a lot of folks out there driving 03-04 Discos and don't know that it is a ticking time-bomb which can be de-fused

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It wouldn't be anything unless it has tutorials. Tutorials which include the inline thermostat modification, head-gasket and oil-pump replacement, installing a new head-unit or screen to properly work with the factory sound system, ABS faults and fixes, system monitoring gadgets, different lift-kit makes and chart comparison, a tutorial on that installation, maybe a reference to the favorite parts retailers both new and used, I.e. PT, KYscrap, great-basin, Lucky8, Paul Grant, TarHeel Rovers. Newbies out there that aren't as smart as some of us need to know that the disco is not very sophisticated and that they don't have to utilize over-prices auto garages and dealerships to steal all of their money and charge them 300xtimes retail OEM price for the measiliest of parts on top of their $90-100 labor cost. Dumb people also need more info on diagnosing more common problems like "Check Engine Light" and fault codes, engine over-heating and death-wobble. All of these things need to be addressed if this "Dust Runners" is going to continue this full-length, multi-tiered publication. Back when I first started researching, I would have really appreciated something like this with all of these subjects threaded together. I also would have a planted a big wet-one on the buttocks of whomever told me that the temp gauge on the 2003-04 is practically useless and that I needed to figure out what my engine temperatures are and where they need to be or else I would blow the head gaskets. There are a lot of folks out there driving 03-04 Discos and don't know that it is a ticking time-bomb which can be de-fused
Everyone had given me so much feedback in such a short amount of time. Looks like I have a lot of ideas and things to work on for the coming months. Only thing that will really limit all of what i do will most likely end up being funds for parts haha.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone has given me so much feedback in such a short amount of time. Looks like I have a lot of ideas and things to work on for the coming months. Only thing that will really limit all of what i do will most likely end up being funds for parts haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.